This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Any potential problems with......

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Any potential problems with......

Postby Brutalfly » Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Sorry for always having questions.
I have called about 2 cubs recently both cubs need batteries. Both owners said that the cubs ran good but just need new batteries.
One owner said that he had not started his in a year and a half and he said it ran good last time he had it running. He said when it started it smoked a little when it started up but then it did not smoke at all when running. I am interested in this one because the price is right but with him not running it in a year and a half kinda scares me. Not only that but it is 2 hours away from me and I don't want to go look at it if it is not running or if it is going to take a lot to get it running. If it was closer I would make the trip.
The 2nd one the owner told me that it runs and works good that it just needs a battery that the other one if I remember correctly was used on something else. This one is also in my price range but at the higher end of it.
There is like $700 difference in both of them.
So I was just wondering how many of you have ran into these situations and I was also wondering if there were potential problems with the battery issue as well as not starting it in a year and a half.

cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

Re: Any potential problems with......

Postby cubby » Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 pm

I don't answer many posts but i will this time.First, if it's a 6 volt,take a battery with you.If u are looking for a 6 volt tractor,u can always use a extra one.If its a 12 volt,take a jumper pack with you.If the guy acts like this is a problem,then u need to take a closer look. IMHO,a tractor thats not been run for a year and half is not the problem.What you need to check is if the gas is treated or smells old and has a bad odor.Look real close to see if there is anything leaking under the tractor,and see if there is anti-freeze in the radiator.Rock the tractor while in gear and see if it is locked up.There will be others who can give u some more help later.I would not shy away because it won't start,i would look the tractor over real good and consider everything i see and then make an offer.NOT starting can be to your favor.Good luck.Rick

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri May 09, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm going to take a little different tack on this. I would call both of their bluffs and respond that you will come and look if they get a battery and get it started.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 pm

Just my opinion, both Cubs are non-runners, period. Any successful attempt, on your part, to start either Cub will automatically increase the final price - the owner will have less incentive to take less because -- it runs (no matter how badly). Take a crank to make sure the engine is not stuck. Good luck.

Bill

Don has an excellent approach, as well.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Why didn't the current owner install a battery and get the tractor running? Then sell a running tractor for considerably more than a non running parts tractor. ????????

As far as potential problems, to many unknowns to make any statement or any guesses. Despite the current owners assurances, you are buying a tractor as is, where is. You are the one taking the risk.

Do not attempt to start the tractor.

I see two other have posted similar posts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brutalfly » Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 pm

My wife told me the same think that you guys have said.
That we won't look unless they can get it started.
I agree with that.
The one 2 hours away the gentleman told me that he used it in parades. He just got tired of making 2 trips because he always took a wagon.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Any non-running tractor is worth the sum of its parts. Any tractor not running can hide a lot of ills. Anyone that wouldn't go downtown and buy a battery to put into a tractor he's selling so he can get top dollar out of it is, in my opinion, either lazy or hiding something. Around here a new 6 volt battery sells for less then $50. A non-running Cub in good condition might be worth $600 where running the same Cub might bring $1200. If you were selling the tractor, what would you do??
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm

the gentleman told me that he used it in parades. He just got tired of making 2 trips because he always took a wagon.
Unless the seller puts the claim in writing, it's worthless. Won't stand up in court. At least that's what "Judge Judy" says.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 pm

To me "needs battery" translates to needs a battery, a regulator, and or generator and wiring worked on.

"ran good" (note past tense) translates to ran good during the Eisenhower administration.

If the "other one" had the battery used on something else then why wouldn't you not swap it back to show the Cub runs fine and sell it less battery???????

I'm in the they're both nonrunners camp and should be priced accordingly (in the $500 range). If they start and run and check out then the price goes up.

I was at a consignment auction a couple weeks ago about halfway between Jeff City and STL. Cub with C-2 mower deck, started up and ran great, tires OK, paint about a 3 out of 10, 12V conversion with a hinged flap on hood to get to alternator and plugs (have to admit pretty neatly done for a hack job), nothing glaringly wrong. Sold for $600. About a '62 loboy with 59" deck, hydraulics unhooked at pump, no oil in engine (hole in oil pan from mower lifting to high), not stuck, OK back tires, deluxe seat, 50/50 paint and rust with a little moss growning on the hood, rough overall. Sold for $500.

Cubarama isn't that far away, (time or distance). There's usually a few Cubs for sale there or it makes a great pick up point for a Cub Express from a forum member with a for sale Cub.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Sat May 10, 2014 5:49 am

Eugene wrote:
the gentleman told me that he used it in parades. He just got tired of making 2 trips because he always took a wagon.
Unless the seller puts the claim in writing, it's worthless. Won't stand up in court. At least that's what "Judge Judy" says.

Yes. Buy the tractor, not the story.

You've gotten some great advice here. I guess it depends on how confident you are about evaluating and buying a non-running tractor and then getting it home and busting some knuckles to get her up and running.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brutalfly » Sat May 10, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks for all the great advice!
I appreciate it.
I am probably going to do some calling and let both know that I would like to look at them but if they don't have batteries and they aren't running I won't be.
I think there is good possibilities with both tractors but like a lot of you said non running is non running and that doesn't do anybody any favors.
The other one that is not 2 hours away I was told that he wanted to sell his because he bought a zero turn mower.
The closer has been for sale and listed twice and the one farther away was just listed for sale 2 days ago.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 10, 2014 7:14 am

If you go to look be prepared to buy and take it right then, or be prepared to walk away. Neither possibility should weigh on the other (i.e. don't buy BECAUSE you drug the trailer 2 hours). To many stories about went to look, made deal, came back to get it and things changed. Also, as has been said, if the owner doesn't want to get it to start DO NOT do any work/fixes for them.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun May 11, 2014 9:51 am

I have never bought a tractor that the owner did not say it was running good when I parked it :D, ask him why he parked it if you like. But I only buy what I see so I never ask why only how much and go from there.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brutalfly » Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am

Thank you for all the replies.
I was doing some checking on the one that is 2 hours away and it was missing the gauge that sits right up where the driver can look down and see it.
I am thinking that is the battery gauge (correct me if I am wrong).

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue May 13, 2014 9:04 am

Amp gauge. While the amp gauge is not overly expensive, question is, why is it missing? My guess is that it's an unresolved charging problem.

What are the sellers asking prices?
I have an excuse. CRS.