This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seeking advice from members

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
M.Rad.
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78608

Seeking advice from members

Postby M.Rad. » Wed May 21, 2014 11:17 am

Hello everyone! I just registered to this site (first post is in intro), and need some advice from members who have experience with the Cub.
I have owned a model "M" for many years and love the versatility, simplicity and durability of the machine. I have used it for chisel plowing, discing, shredding, moving round bales and grading mu driveway. It is one of the best machinery investments I have ever made.

Currently, I am looking to replace my failing lawn tractor ( a "Craftsman" with a failing automatic transaxle, which is non-rebuildable and yes I have tried). I would like to buy a Cub with a belly mower to take over the lawn maintenance duties. My reasoning is as follows:
1 ) the Cub is built of steel and cast iron as opposed to the sheet-metal used on today's lawn tractors, so is more durable
2 ) most of these machines are 30 to 50 years old, meaning again, that they are durable
3 ) the transmissions have actual gears and a clutch which are serviceable, as opposed to disposable
4 ) the comparatively light duty of lawn work will not overly stress the Cub
5 ) It may be able to take over some duties for which the model "M" is too large.

So, my questions are this ( and yes, I am aware that Y'all are biased :P )-

1 ) is the Cub a good choice for a lawn tractor for a 2~+ acre yard?
2 ) How problematic is the block / head / etc. for cracking ( I have noticed quite a few posts and FAQs dealing with cracking)?

Please let me know if I am on the right track, or if I would be better off going another rout.
All input is appreciated!

Regards,
M.R.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Seeking advice from members

Postby tmays » Wed May 21, 2014 12:08 pm

1) if you don't have much to mow around or tight spots to get in, the cub will do just fine

2) Head cracking is usually a freeze crack. As long as you winterize, you'll be fine
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed May 21, 2014 12:19 pm

I own two Cubs that are primarily used as mower tractors. One is a standard Cub, currently with a Woods 42 mower deck and a 154 with a 3260 mower deck. I also have larger tractors that I use for brush hogging and pasture mowing.

If you are primarily looking for a lawn mower, suggest one of the numbered Cubs. They make great lawn mowers.

The standard Cub is more utilitarian than the numbered Cubs and simpler, easier, to repair or work on. If you are going to use the tractor to plow the garden or other work, than the standard Cub would be a good choice.

Cracking the engine block ear is only problematic if the tractor encounters extremely rough service. Not normally encountered when mowing lawns.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 pm

i mow with a regular cub , been using it over 20 years. it does a great job and doesnt beat you up like a little tractor does.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed May 21, 2014 3:13 pm

:Dito: to the above. And welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Wed May 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I agree with what the others has said also.

Welcome to the forum.
"I ain't believing this!"

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed May 21, 2014 4:08 pm

If you have a lawn with lots of obstacles or requires a lot of stopping, backing, and starting up again, the cub may not be your best choice. The cub has a non-live pto, meaning it's driven from within the transmission and when you push in the clutch, the mower deck loses power. This also means that when you push in the clutch, the whirling blades keep the tractor moving until they stop (ask me about that broken privacy fence!).

This second issue can be avoided by using an over-running pulley on the PTO output shaft. It also means that your clutch will be doing double-duty getting those blades up to speed and providing power to the wheels every time you start off again.

That said, if you have a nice big area that doesn't require you to mow into tight corners and if you can choose a path that required minimal stopping and starting, the cub is a GREAT machine. There are parts galore and you have the combined knowledge of everyone on this forum to help you through any technical challenges. Welcome to the forum!
Jim

Circle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:51 pm

I used Eddie to mow my 2 acre lawn for 10 years. Most of the yard was open with few trees, and she did very well. The other third had a pool, a trampoline, a garden and some trees, and, as others have said, Eddie was more cumbersone for that part - but it was still quicker than doing it by hand, and seat time on a family heirloon was certainly more fun than on a lawn tractor. Another concern will be clearance if you have two obstacles that are close together, whether you will have clearance to cut between them.

The 59 inch deck has smaller blades, so it does not have the momentum concerns that skewjim mentioned, but clearance between obstacles is more of a concern than with the 42 inch single blade decks.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I mow my 1 acre lot with quite a few obstructions with my regular cub. I have gotten a pattern that I use now and have a blast mowing with it. Gotta be careful when it is wet as the cub wheels will leave track marks on soft ground. Mine is lots of clay and the tracks show...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 pm

You can purchase a Cub with mower for way less money than a new estate mower at the big box stores. With a bit of maintenance and repairs the Cub and mower will out last the new estate mower by many years.

Edit: Providing the Cub and mower are well maintained and still in good condition - in the event you want to sell, you can get all or most of your money back.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Just finished mowing about 3 acres this afternoon. Does a great job and is way more fun than the lawn tractor. My only suggestion is if you have a hilly or sloped property to mow and want the job done quick you might want to look into an "A" or something with a little more power. I mow partly on an incline and need to mow in first until it gets warmed up thoroughly then it will usually do it ok in second (Woods 59c).
Also I find the cub to be very economical. Doesn't burn any more than my lawn tractor. The only thing I like better about my lawn tractor is its cup holder.

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 am

Hoyt-Clagwell wrote: The only thing I like better about my lawn tractor is its cup holder.

That's easy to fix

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu May 22, 2014 7:20 am

Hoyt-Clagwell wrote:Just finished mowing about 3 acres this afternoon. Does a great job and is way more fun than the lawn tractor. My only suggestion is if you have a hilly or sloped property to mow and want the job done quick you might want to look into an "A" or something with a little more power. I mow partly on an incline and need to mow in first until it gets warmed up thoroughly then it will usually do it ok in second (Woods 59c).
Also I find the cub to be very economical. Doesn't burn any more than my lawn tractor. The only thing I like better about my lawn tractor is its cup holder.

I should note that my cub is using a Woods 59 mower and I mow up hill and down (no cross slopes for safety). It pulls the hill (in 2nd) and the mower with no problem. Of course, I am just cutting grass and not tall field weeds. When the grass gets heavy in the field next to my house, it takes ALL of the power of the cub to get through it.

One thing to consider is whether to go with a loboy or a regular cub. Loboy's are better under trees.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu May 22, 2014 7:43 am

Hengy wrote:Loboy's are better under trees.

And on slopes.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Hoyt-Clagwell wrote:The only thing I like better about my lawn tractor is its cup holder.

I have found that the speed control/touch control quadrant makes a fine beverage holder.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.