Sediment Bowl Assembly Question

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:23 am

(picture courtesy of TM Tractor)

Am disassembling a fuel strainer and wondered if any of you were able to remove the brass nut off the handle (right side in picture above)? Mine can't make it past the turn in the handle.

Re: Sediment Bowl Assembly Question

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 am

If I remember correctly, you have to unscrew the handle and remove it

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:10 am

Handle is unscrewed and whole assembly is separated from top of fuel strainer.

I'm working with just the brass at this point. Am trying to separate the outside nut from the handle. Nut is unscrewed off the internal portion and is loose on the handle stem. Is it possible to get the nut past the elbow of the handle w/o bending the handle?

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 am

Stanton wrote:Is it possible to get the nut past the elbow of the handle w/o bending the handle?
Probably not. Might try needle nosed vise grips and pliers to straighten the bend a bit.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:46 am

Kinda what I was thinking. The thought crossed my mind that I had an unusual one, but perhaps mine is normal. :)

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:56 am

Stanton,

Yours is normal, at least the same as any I've worked on.

Bill

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

Stanton...just curious...why do you want to remove the nut?

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:05 am

Yes, as you unscrew the nut, keep unscrewing the valve handle also. Both should back out at the same time.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:49 am

Winfield Dave wrote:Stanton...just curious...why do you want to remove the nut?

I unscrewed the nut and now it won't go back onto the threads. Thought if I could remove it, I'd try to replace it at the hardware store.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am

Stanton, I just checked one of mine not being used currently. In the manufacturing and assembly process apparently the nut is put over the handle before it is bent.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 pm

I believe the handle has to start into the body first before the brass nut will have enough clearance to start. If the threads need straightening, a three corner saw file works well or maybe an ignition points file might work.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:09 am

Ha! Broke the brass (suedo brass) handle last night, so in the market for a replacement fuel strainer assembly. You all have any experience with the lesser priced ones on ebay? Waste of money?

See new post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84411

Let me know. Thanks.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I use only these...

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/314fp.htm

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Stanton, How about drilling and tapping the end of the brass and installing your own t handle? I'm guessing it's broken too short, or you'd already be posting pictures of the fix. :D

Bob

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Had mine out a few weeks ago because of fuel leak when closed. Appeared to be made to seat both full open and full closed. Nut couldn't be removed without damage, and shaft looked too big to try to try to force new o-ring over. Anyways put back together and no longer leaking when closed. Made sure packing nut was snug as possible.