This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timing mark on idler gear?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TSB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18464

Timing mark on idler gear?

Postby TSB » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

I am looking ahead to reassembling my engine and the Service Manual says "before installing the crankcase front cover, mark the two teeth on each side of the single punch mark on the idler gear with chalk". My idler gear does not have a single punch mark - only the double one. Can someone provide the correct location of the single punch mark on the idler gear? Maybe a picture would work best if that is possible?
Still hoping I can get it back together and running!

Scot

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Timing mark on idler gear?

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:04 pm

TSB, Here's a link to a recent similar problem. Go to page 3 and scroll down to Rick Spivey's post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84362&p=674386&hilit=idler+gear+punch+marks#p674386

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

The single timing mark is only visible from the distributor/magneto side of the gear once installed.
Rotate engine to #1 cylinder TDC on compression stoke. Looking in from the distributor/mag side, the timing mark should be in the center of view behind the oil seal (if installed).

In the above pic, I marked the teeth on each side of the timing mark with a permanent marker. Chalk, marker, paint pen are all fine, as long as you can see them when you go to install the governor.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:51 am

RaymondDurban wrote:The single timing mark is only visible from the distributor/magneto side of the gear once installed.

In other words, it is on the opposite face of the gear (or back side) from the double punch, which is on the front side of the gear.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

TSB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18464

Postby TSB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks to all for your help. When I took the distributer drive seal out I found the punch mark. The service manual is misleading in that the diagram shows both the one and two marks on the same side.