This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steering questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cchatham
10+ Years
10+ Years

steering questions

Postby cchatham » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:58 pm

Thanks to those who posted an answer to my question about adjusting the steering. Finally had time to get to it, and have a question about getting started on it.

In looking at the castle nut, there's a bolt on a clamp above that castle nut. From what folks have said about adjusting the steering, you loosen that one, then run up the castle nut and then re-tighten.

In looking at it this afternoon, I do not see a way to be able to get enough stroke on that bolt without dropping the front axle out of it.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... 003-05.jpg

is what I'm looking at.

Am I missing something, or do I really need to take out the front axle to run up that castle nut?

Thanks,

SC

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:14 pm

You have it figured out. Also the 2 bolts holding the pin are in notches and have to be removed, not just loosened before the pin can be removed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: steering questions

Postby George Willer » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:04 pm

cchatham wrote:Thanks to those who posted an answer to my question about adjusting the steering. Finally had time to get to it, and have a question about getting started on it.

In looking at the castle nut, there's a bolt on a clamp above that castle nut. From what folks have said about adjusting the steering, you loosen that one, then run up the castle nut and then re-tighten.

In looking at it this afternoon, I do not see a way to be able to get enough stroke on that bolt without dropping the front axle out of it.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... 003-05.jpg

is what I'm looking at.

Am I missing something, or do I really need to take out the front axle to run up that castle nut?

Thanks,

SC

SC,

Dropping the axle won't help much and is a lot of work.

The adjustment can be made with the axle in place. You'll have to find the place where the steering is in the right position ( turned to one side) to allow getting a pair of box wrenches on that !#$%^ clamp bolt, but it CAN be done. Taking the weight off the front axle may help a bit, as will a thorough cleaning of the site.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

cchatham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cchatham » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:36 pm

Why in the world would somebody engineer something so backasswards and impossible to get to?

:roll:

I mean, there isn't even a tool to take it off with.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:57 pm

cchatham wrote:Why in the world would somebody engineer something so backasswards and impossible to get to?

:roll:

I mean, there isn't even a tool to take it off with.

Maybe strength was a more important consideration than convenience? :) If you're talking about adjusting the free play in the vertical shaft it can be done with standard tools. Don't give up so easily!

When you finally get it done, don't forget to tighten the clamp bolt TIGHTLY. :wink:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce