This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Own Worst Enemy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

My Own Worst Enemy

Postby Tom Z. » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:20 am

I finally messed up enough to really hurt my cub. I was preparing to put the loader on it, and I installed the bypass block. I had the hydraulic tubes disconnected at the pump, and upon reconnection, I stripped one of the holes.

I went to put in a helicoil, but discovered more thread below the point I had stripped it. Either the P.O. had used shorter bolts than normal, or the holes were simply deeper than necessary. Any way, I decided to chase the threads, and while the pump was off, put in new seals and o-rings. I got the gasket kit, and put it all back together. It installed easily, and I bolted up everything, being extra careful not to strip anything else.

All looked well, so I hit the starter. It fired instantly and was running perfect for about 5 seconds. Suddenly, there was a loud clunk followed by the sound of pieces of metal falling, as the engine stopped dead.

Apparently the hydraulic pump siezed up, which shattered the cam shaft gear. At least that's what the pieces I can pull out of the hole for the hydraulic pump look like.

I haven't taken apart the hydraulic pump yet to see where I went wrong. It turned smoothly by hand before installation.

Now I need to remove the front of the tractor, take off the front cover and see just how bad things are.

If anybody knows where I can buy a pair of those cub stands that bolt on, please let me know.

Doing something like this sure can take the celebration out of a 4th of July weekend. I do not look forward to the many headaches ahead, including the crankshaft pulley. I remember the last time it had to come off and go back on.

If there's an award for worst mechanic in the world, please submit my name.

Tom Z.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:50 am

Tom, where in Ohio are you? I have a set of the jack stands you can borrow if you'd like.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:58 pm

Bigdog wrote:Tom, where in Ohio are you? I have a set of the jack stands you can borrow if you'd like.

Yes, where are you? I also have a set. I'm a ways north of Bigdog, about 150 miles.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:19 pm

George I think he's only 30 miles west in Bowling Green. You could run over there and give him some support if it were me I would need it.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Still Baffled

Postby Tom Z. » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:23 pm

Bigdog, George & Jim,

Thanks for the moral support.

I'll send a PM about borrowing those jack stands, when I get closer to tearing into things, which might be awhile. The stone retaining wall I was hoping to use the loader to help build is still a priority to get done. I'll just have to use my old friends, Mr. Shovel, Mr. Wheelbarrow, and Mr. Back to do the work "Rusty" was going to do.

I live just outside of Grand Rapids, OH, not too far from George, who was kind enough to sell me a plow a couple of years ago.

I took apart the hydraulic pump, hoping to figure out what caused the calamity. There were metal slivers that appeared to have been shaved from the tops of some of the teeth gumming up the gears. Everything else seems to be exactly how I put it in. The only thing I might have done was possibly reverse the non-drive gear. I may have swapped which end of the shaft sat in wich end of the housing. It seemed to turn the same (using hand power) no matter which way I tried to put it in.

I'll be kicking myself over this for awhile, but I need to save my energy for moving rocks, dirt and stone.

I do appreciate the widom and advice of everybody here, and I'll asking more questions when I have the time to work on the tear down.

As our country celebrates its independence, I do see a bright side. I live in a place and at a time when I am free to make my own mistakes. I have the freedom to fix my mistakes too.

To the men and women who've served and are serving, I want to give a very repectful thank you. It might sound funny when talking about a broken tractor, but in the end, it is the freedom to make choices that lead me to this point.

Happy 4th of JULY!!!!

Tom Z.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:39 pm

Tom, don't beet yourself up to bad until you find out what happened, may have just been bad luck (different problem caused it). As another not to happy note, if you found metal shavings in the pump you will need to tear the TC system apart and rebuild/flush it out good. I am wonering if the shavings stopped up some of the valves or orifices and built up so much pressure the pump couldn't turn, breaking the cam gear.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:18 pm

I don't recall exc. how they bolt on but is it possible you used to long of a bolt and that presed against the gear, cracking it?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:13 am

Jack, like you it's been a while since I pulled a pump off, but if I remember correctly one of the bolts does come out behind the cam gear, and the gear is pretty close to the housing. tha may be a good possibility.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey Tom...That's a tough break :( BUT...DON'T GET TOO DISCOURAGED! :cry: You've got a TON of FRIENDS here and anything we can do to help you out rest assured...we'll make it happen for you :D ! Put the Cub asaide...CELEBRATE OUT NATION'S BIRTHDAY WITH YOUR FAMILY :D ...AND ENJOY YOUR DAY :wink: ! Your Cub will still be there by the weekend 8) !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”