This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rust-O-Ration

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rust-O-Ration

Postby schmibm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:22 pm

I learned about this cool tip to make a nice new part rusty very quickly. While this isn't often something someone wants to do, but if you got an old rusty tractor and want to maintain the patina on an old rig when repairing or replacing a part with new.
Take a 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide, like you get in the pharmacy at Wal-Mart for about $0.52. To that, mix in 2 oz of table salt and 2 oz of white vinegar.

Now mist spray or coat the part with the solution and watch if foam up instantly. It will rust in a matter or minutes. Just let it dry or wash it with water to control the rusting.

Pretty simple and very fast. This works best on a part that is clean and free of any grease or oil. I bead-blasted my part first. In about 2 mins, I had a nice scale look.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

ShineOn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63645
Tractors Owned: Bolens 1250

Cub 1949

Re: Rust-O-Ration

Postby ShineOn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:10 am

That's good to know .
The Constitution established a Government in Trust . Go from there .

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Stanton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 am

What? No pictures?
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mortgaged
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49546
Tractors Owned: 1951 F-Cub, 1964 Cub Cadet 120, 1985 Kubota B7200D

Postby Mortgaged » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

Great info! This will definitely come in handy as my daughters insist that my tractor maintains it's patina and no new paint is allowed!

On one of the Discovery channel car restoration shows they used a "sealer" on an antiqued truck to preserve the rusty look without letting it go further. It looked really good and didn't appear to alter the appearance, at least on TV. I've been looking for this "sealer" and haven't found anything yet. I'm not looking for a glossy clearcoat either.