This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat Snapped off & kill switch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ThomD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Seat Snapped off & kill switch

Postby ThomD » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 am

Gets your attention is what I found.

The bracket that is fixed immediately to the top of the seat post detached itself along with the seat. Suddenly, no warning. Pretty highly stressed part when I look at it. How to fix?

I can Tig weld, but the welder is actually waiting to go in for service and is out of state anyway. My competence in TIG is 4130 tubing, and general steel like 1020, and copper. This may be steel to iron for the post.

Anyone have any ideas, or should I source a part, which could well be just as near term?

So when this happens the tractor keeps on going with or without you depending on where you fall into on the way down. Anyone ever consider a kill switch?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Seat Snapped off & kill switch

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:07 am

Contact the advertisers on this board for replacement parts. Or place an ad in the Vine, several folks part out Cubs.

Kill switch. Probably could install one of the safety type switches that have to be closed for the ignition system to operate. Or, magneto, switch in the open position with operator in seat and closed position of operator left the seat.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:31 pm

I bought a cub around 30 years ago that had been operated a long time with no battery box, and the floor pan along with everything in the area was badly eaten up. It had been badly neglected over the years, but after about 3 months I got it going, and am still using it. About 10 years later I was disking the garden one day and realized the steering wheel was getting further and further away. When I stopped and checked it, the post mount was so badly eaten through the side straps had failed and it was leaning to the rear. I had some pieces of strap steel that I bent to fit and welded to it for a reinforcement, and welded it all to the floor pan. When I rebuilt it for the 2nd about 5 years ago, I replaced the bracket and badly pitted floor.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Yet, people curse at the kill switches that are mandated on equipment these days, and go out of their way to defeat them...

It's not until something happens that you see the value in safety devices. They're mandated by law, so you don't have to find out for yourself.

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:32 pm

I had the same thing happen while I was mowing. I bent the steering wheel just trying to stay on the tractor, that jagged seat post cut through my pants and my backside! I ordered a new seat post because it was rusted so thin I didn't trust trying to weld it. I gave the new one a heavy coat of grease when I put it on, and spray it with lube often. I do not care to be in that situation again! It hurt my tractor, my feelings, and my pride.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:38 pm

when I posted above, i was thinking of the lower bracket, but i did have one that the seat rusted out and let the seat come off. I did not have either equipment or skill enough to weld metal that thin so I took it to a friend who had a welding shop and let him repair it. In the meantime you could rent it out as a hemorrhoid remedy. :P
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:when I posted above, i was thinking of the lower bracket, but i did have one that the seat rusted out and let the seat come off. I did not have either equipment or skill enough to weld metal that thin so I took it to a friend who had a welding shop and let him repair it. In the meantime you could rent it out as a hemorrhoid remedy. :P

REMEDY ?!?!?!? :lol:
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.