This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6v generator question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

6v generator question

Postby ad356 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 am

my cub has a 6v system with a cut-off. when i bought the tractor it included an extra generator, this one has a regulator mounted on it. it came with the tractor, its not something that i purchased myself. the question i have is are they the same, the generators themselves? IF this generator is different then what's on my tractor i think i will try to sell it. if its the same i might rebuild it, and put it away as a spare part. the generator is in good shape, it spins free. what should i do with it?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 6v generator question

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:07 am

There are several different 6 volt generators. Generally they are interchangeable.

I would have the extra generator and voltage regulator tested. If good, package up, and place on the shelf as a spare. Generator repair can get expensive, regulator and or cut out also expensive. At some point, the currently installed generator and cutout will fail.

One reason folks are converting to a 12 volt alternator is the expense of repair or replacement frequently costs more than the conversion.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am

the one with the regulator on top has been changed from a cutout to a regulator, so it will be the same generator. the ones that are different (originally came with a regulator) had the regulator mounted on a bracket on the distributor, and frequently did not even have the screw holes on top of the generator. If you pay attention to the H L setting on your light switch and do not over charge the battery, the battery will usually last a couple years longer with a cutout than a regulator.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:44 pm

while mowing in the summer and the tractor is running for an hour or more at a time, i just leave that switch on low during the winter and when im only plowing for short periods of time i set that on high, if im only running the tractor for 20-25 minutes. im guessing it still charges on the L setting, what is the charge rate, 3-4 amps?

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm

i also see some mention of 3 brush generators. what does that mean, are the other generators 2 brush? is their a way to tell which generator you have? i see you guys say something about repair costs or frequency? i have not yet had any problems the charging system has always worked well. i was thinking about taking that spare generator and installing a rebuild kit. my stepfather has done several cub cadet generators and they really are about the same. he knows how to tear them down and rebuild them.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm

I believe the low charge rate is 2 to 3 amps and hi charge is 11-12. A 3 brush generator was used with the cutout, and some of the earlier regulator units. The 3rd brush is adjustable by loosening a screw and moving it closer to or further from the ground brush. This sets the maximum charge rate to keep the generator from overheating.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!