This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub owner with a Barn find

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22
Circle of Safety: Y

New Cub owner with a Barn find

Postby Puffie40 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Hello, new user here in British Columbia!

So I got a early birthday present. I've had a ongoing interest in old tractors, and have been wrenching on Dad's tractors for a while.

027.jpg
027.jpg (499.09 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

So this Farmall cub showed up at an estate sale, and Mom and Dad bought it. Both it and the attachments (sickle, plow, disc, spring harrows)had been sheltered and cared for most of its life, but they do need a fair bit of maintenance and tlc before use. I have some questions about that.

The serial plate is missing. The casting letter indicates a 1948 vintage. Were there any backup spots for serial numbers?

The cub has a fairly bad oil leak at the rear main. I read that the seal retainer has to be modified (we have a lathe, so that shouldn't be an issue), but is there anything else we should do while the tractor is split? Should I replace the clutch?

Should I consider converting it to 12 volts? I didnt have a battery, but the generator seems to work, and the tractor lit off very easily with the hand crank even after sitting for three years. Since I have never dealt with a 6 volt system, and I'm in college taking electronic courses, I'm rather curious about 6 volts.

For the 22 sickle, what kind of knife sections does it take? Has anyone messed around with the bolt-on style on this mower?

Chris

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Re: New Cub owner with a Barn find

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:15 am

Welcome to the forum! Nice original tractor you have there. As for #s, on the left side of the engine above the oil fill and just behind the hydraulic manifold, there should be a flat spot on the engine casting with a stamped S/N. Also on the same side of the engine there should be a casting mark X-X-R. The first # will be the month, second the day and the third should be an R designating the year (1948). Keep the 6v system if you can, as it's original to the tractor. The main difference from 12v is positive ground and heavier wiring. You probably have a cut out on the generator and a 4 position light switch LHDB L-low charge H-high charge D-dim lights B-bright lights. Again welcome and nice original tractor.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:53 am

Nice looking early Cub , I like the hand lift 8)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:56 am

Depending on your level of machinist skills, you may want to consider getting an already reworked rear main retainer and seal from Tim Talleur (tst).

And, welcome to the forum.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 am

Puffie40 wrote:Should I replace the clutch?
Perhaps. Since you have to remove the pressure plate, check the wear on the disk and throw out bearing. I would probably replace the throwout bearing. Depending on what's needed, consider replacing the pilot shaft bushing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 am

Welcome to the forum. Your nice looking tractor has a magneto, which is independent of the electrical system. If it were mine, I'd try a new 6v battery and leave the system as is. :coffee:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:21 am

Looks to be a well cared for original Cub...... Enjoy it!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:24 am

Harold R wrote:Welcome to the forum. Your nice looking tractor has a magneto, which is independent of the electrical system. If it were mine, I'd try a new 6v battery and leave the system as is. :coffee:

If you don't have a need for the lights and don't mind starting it with the crank, the electrical system is not needed. Getting it back in order later could be a back burner project. Welcome to the forum!
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 am

Good find. IN addition to the advice you have been given, pay particular attention to the battery cables and ends. Most people convert to 12 volts because the cables are old or too small, or the starter needs cleaned and brushes. My 3 cubs are still on 6 volts, and even with recent rebuilds still spin over nearly as fast as most do with 12 volts. I assume you know it, but in case you do not, the light switch controls the charge rate. Lo, full CCW is approx. 2 amps, Hi 1 click CW is approx. 11 amps, then dim lights, then Less dim lights. If you only run it for short periods and at low rpm, Hi is good, but actually working for 2 or 3 hours and at higher rpms it tends to overcharge and boil the batteries on HI, so after a few minutes it needs to be switched to LO. There is no regulator, just a cutout to disconnect the generator when it quits charging. If you decide not to put a battery in it for a while you need to disconnect the field to prevent the generator from burning out with no load. Or take the generator belt off.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:37 am

Eugene wrote:
Puffie40 wrote:Should I replace the clutch?
Perhaps. Since you have to remove the pressure plate, check the wear on the disk and throw out bearing. I would probably replace the throwout bearing. Depending on what's needed, consider replacing the pilot shaft bushing.

While you're there, whether or not you replace the clutch or not, check the clutch finger adjustment. A search here will give you all the info needed to do whatever work you decide to perform on your new Cub.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:39 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Good find. IN addition to the advice you have been given, pay particular attention to the battery cables and ends. Most people convert to 12 volts because the cables are old or too small, or the starter needs cleaned and brushes. My 3 cubs are still on 6 volts, and even with recent rebuilds still spin over nearly as fast as most do with 12 volts. I assume you know it, but in case you do not, the light switch controls the charge rate. Lo, full CCW is approx. 2 amps, Hi 1 click CW is approx. 11 amps, then dim lights, then Less dim lights. If you only run it for short periods and at low rpm, Hi is good, but actually working for 2 or 3 hours and at higher rpms it tends to overcharge and boil the batteries on HI, so after a few minutes it needs to be switched to LO. There is no regulator, just a cutout to disconnect the generator when it quits charging. If you decide not to put a battery in it for a while you need to disconnect the field to prevent the generator from burning out with no load. Or take the generator belt off.

John,
This is interesting...but I'm curious as to whether this holds true for my '57 with 3-position light switch, distributor, voltage regulator, etc. or is this limited to 4-position light switch, magneto, etc.
I am really weak with electrical stuff.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 pm

If you have a regulator, then the switch has no control over charging rate (other than to vary the load on the system itself). The positions on a 3-position switch are dim headlights, less dim headlights and rear lights.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:04 pm

What a great birthday gift! Happy birthday, BTW. Nice tractor with attachments!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:31 am

That looks awesome! I love original cubs in their working clothes!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Considering the money and work, I'll keep the system as six volts. That is a very interesting tidbit about the switch also controlling the charge rate.

did the frame and engine serial numbers match? My dad got FCUBM 33819 off the engine.

I'm building a manual package for the cub, and the service manual section in the manual repositories has me rather confused. I'm not sure which ones are needed for my cub.

thanks!