This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle

Postby PoconoCub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Scrivet wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:.......Now I will have to ask mama for some money to do a tune up on her since it has been 12 years since the last one :(

Scott
Don't know about the pertronix, but if it's been 12 years since a tune up, dare I ask how long it's been since a valve clearance adjustment check? Another possible area to get a little improvement from.

Actually I have never adjusted the valves and they will have to wait until spring as I need the tractor for winter plowing :)

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 am

You should be able to do a valve adjustmemt in a afternoon. Second time you will be able to do it in a hour.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 am

PoconoCub wrote:Now I will have to ask mama for some money to do a tune up on her since it has been 12 years since the last one.
Complete engine tune up. You will find the tractor starts easier and will run better.

A complete tune, lub job, and fluid change is not that expensive. With experience shouldn't take perhaps 3 or 4 hours. Probably less time.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:17 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:You should be able to do a valve adjustmemt in a afternoon. Second time you will be able to do it in a hour.

The problem is getting the exhaust/intake off as it looks like it has never been removed in 57 years :( I don't want to take the chance in breaking anything until after winter.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 am

Eugene wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:Now I will have to ask mama for some money to do a tune up on her since it has been 12 years since the last one.
Complete engine tune up. You will find the tractor starts easier and will run better.

A complete tune, lub job, and fluid change is not that expensive. With experience shouldn't take perhaps 3 or 4 hours. Probably less time.

When you only have one paycheck coming in to cover everything everything is expensive :( We haven't gone food shopping in a month just so we could save up enough money to get 125 gals of heating oil, this paycheck we will be food shopping as we are out of most basic things now. I move a bit slow because of the MS and COPD, but it should take less than 3 hours to do the above :)

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 am

PoconoCub wrote:The problem is getting the exhaust/intake off as it looks like it has never been removed in 57 years

You can snake the valve cover out without removing either the manifold or the hydraulic lines.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Regarrr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48137

Postby Regarrr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:49 pm

Hey, sorry guys, I wasn't ignoring anyone. I had to hit the road for a while so I haven't had time to mess with anything. The info on adjusting the linkage to the governor looks like the starting point that I was missing. Does anyone know about the set screw adjustments on the governor housing? I'm pretty sure it's not right.

also, I'm getting fuel through the carb all the way to the air inlet side when the tractor is not running. strange, but i'm thinking it has something to do with the float height, but if not could someone give me their thoughts on it?

Again thanks for all the tips and info. I will try to dig into it tomorrow after work.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub service manual GSS-1411 telling about setting the bumper spring screw on the front of the governor. Paragraphs e and f tell, but if you have time you could read the page, it has other info. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-20.jpg

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub service manual GSS-1411 telling about setting the bumper spring screw on the front of the governor. Paragraphs e and f tell, but if you have time you could read the page, it has other info. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-20.jpg

I read over the procedures set forth in the manual to test whether the bumper adjustment on the governor is correctly controlling engine surge. I believe the instructions could be clearer. Paragraph 3 e. on page 2-20 describes the test procedures. Note there is a difference between the term "speed change lever" and "carburetor throttle lever." The speed change lever is the common throttle control lever that the operator uses from the seat of the tractor. The carburetor throttle lever is the arm located at the left front of the engine that connects to the rod going to the carburetor. Once you have the engine running at full throttle as set by the speed change lever, push or force the carburetor throttle lever forward against the governor's resistance to gain additional engine rpm and immediately let go of the arm. Note whether the engine responds per the instructions.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:02 am

PoconoCub wrote:
Actually I have never adjusted the valves and they will have to wait until spring as I need the tractor for winter plowing :)

Scott

I will second the others' opinions. I did my very first valve clearance adjustment ever on my cub and it took about an hour (without hurrying). And yes, you should be able to remove the tappet cover without removal of the manifolds. You could remove your carburetor and linkages for extra clearance, but that is also unnecessary. I was surprised that this engine doesn't use jam nuts on the adjusters. The threads are a slight interference fit and apparently that is enough to keep the adjusters from moving on their own.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:00 pm

skwimjim wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:

Scott

I will second the others' opinions. I did my very first valve clearance adjustment ever on my cub and it took about an hour (without hurrying). And yes, you should be able to remove the tappet cover without removal of the manifolds. You could remove your carburetor and linkages for extra clearance, but that is also unnecessary. I was surprised that this engine doesn't use jam nuts on the adjusters. The threads are a slight interference fit and apparently that is enough to keep the adjusters from moving on their own.

And holy shamoley does it make a huge difference! The engine will run smoother, quieter, and have more power. It will make you smile. :{_}: