This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Using Fast Hitch Lift Rod for Rear Rockshaft

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Using Fast Hitch Lift Rod for Rear Rockshaft

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:14 am

Apparently when I bought the 57 many years ago I received a few parts for a Fast Hitch (ie: Fast Hitch Lift Rod), but not the Fast Hitch itself :(

Fast_Hitch_Lift_Rod.jpg
Fast_Hitch_Lift_Rod.jpg (484.69 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Does anyone think I will have a problem using the Fast Hitch Lift Rod for the Rear Rockshaft? It looks like it will work....

Fast_Hitch_Lift_Rod_Connected.jpg
Fast_Hitch_Lift_Rod_Connected.jpg (384.46 KiB) Viewed 691 times

I know I will not be able to use the Universal Mount while using this lift rod, but I can atleast use the rear rockshaft with the rear cultivators until I get the proper lift rod.

I still have so many things to identify what they are :(

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Re: Using Fast Hitch Lift Rod for Rear Rockshaft

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:27 am

I am new to Fast Hitches, I just put one on my LoBoy, so not much help on what parts interchange. But, did wonder, shouldn't the spring be on the lower, "helper spring" rod, it looks like it about to launch all coiled up like that (not sure what purpose it serves in that application)!

Good luck,
David

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am

dgrapes59 wrote:I am new to Fast Hitches, I just put one on my LoBoy, so not much help on what parts interchange. But, did wonder, shouldn't the spring be on the lower, "helper spring" rod, it looks like it about to launch all coiled up like that (not sure what purpose it serves in that application)!

Good luck,

Honestly I know nothing about the Fast Hitch and your right it doesn't look like that spring belongs there. The only thing I can think of is the previous owner was using as a helper spring instead of buying a true helper spring which I happen to have bought a few years ago.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 am

Scott,

As it appears to me, the spring is attached to exert down pressure on the rockshaft. In most situations the rockshaft is meant to only exert lifting force no down pressure. Take the spring off.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Scott,

As it appears to me, the spring is attached to exert down pressure on the rockshaft. In most situations the rockshaft is meant to only exert lifting force no down pressure. Take the spring off.

Bill

From my understanding Bill the lift rod is supposed to slide through the trunion until the it hits the stop, right now it doesn't as it is rusted I guess. The spring really has no purpose that I can tell but I do plan to remove it as it is not supposed to be there according to the parts manual.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:35 pm

A bar is a bar is a bar.

The only issue you may run into is range of motion on the rear rockshaft.

If the fast hitch rod is too long the rockshaft will start too low and not raise far enough. If it is too short the rockshaft will start too high and raise too far.

Too long is easy, just slip a piece of pipe between the nut and the trunnion to shorten it up.
Too short is easy to a degree, just let the nut out as necessary until you run out of thread. If you need more then it gets slightly challenging.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:A bar is a bar is a bar.

The only issue you may run into is range of motion on the rear rockshaft.

If the fast hitch rod is too long the rockshaft will start too low and not raise far enough. If it is too short the rockshaft will start too high and raise too far.

Too long is easy, just slip a piece of pipe between the nut and the trunnion to shorten it up.
Too short is easy to a degree, just let the nut out as necessary until you run out of thread. If you need more then it gets slightly challenging.

The range seems to be fine, but I will have to wait until after winter to play with it to make sure as I have the dual plow/grader blades setup for snow plowing.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:43 pm

PoconoCub wrote:... From my understanding Bill the lift rod is supposed to slide through the trunion until the it hits the stop, right now it doesn't as it is rusted I guess. The spring really has no purpose that I can tell but I do plan to remove it as it is not supposed to be there according to the parts manual.

Scott

Scott,

You are using parts from two different lift systems so there are some mechanical differences to account for.

In your case it is simple because the rockshaft you have uses a solid lift rod -no adjustment whatsoever. Since you are using a FH lift rod simply determine the proper length for the solid rod and set the adjusting nut and stop collar (after removing the spring) to the same length and tighten everything up. Your FH lift rod now functions as fixed length lift rod.

Using your FH lift rod on a FH is different in that some applications require a fixed length for slight down pressure. Other applications actually no down pressure, plowing being one that immediately comes to mind. Fixed length + down pressure applied + hitting a rock lifting the plow = bent lift rod.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Not sure about relative positions of arms on the rockshafts, the FH rod may rub the fender when used with an early style rear rockshaft (even harder than the proper rod does). By the way, the FH rod is a lot harder to find (not bent) than the non-FH part. There must be someone nearby that is willing to trade with you.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:29 pm

PoconoCub wrote:.......I still have so many things to identify what they are :(............
Scott, Scott, Scott......No need to be sad, take pictures and post them. Pictures and whatsits are some of the best threads. :{_}:

To show you how easy it is; in the top right corner of your first picture, the "u" shaped piece looks like a Cub-22 sickle mower PTO pulley shield. The cultivator shield and the plow share should be obvious but then, hey maybe not.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Scrivet wrote:
PoconoCub wrote:.......I still have so many things to identify what they are :(............
Scott, Scott, Scott......No need to be sad, take pictures and post them. Pictures and whatsits are some of the best threads. :{_}:

To show you how easy it is; in the top right corner of your first picture, the "u" shaped piece looks like a Cub-22 sickle mower PTO pulley shield. The cultivator shield and the plow share should be obvious but then, hey maybe not.

And the two rods look like rods that attach to 22 mower grassboard
Thomas

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:49 am

Bill Hudson wrote:Scott,

You are using parts from two different lift systems so there are some mechanical differences to account for.

In your case it is simple because the rockshaft you have uses a solid lift rod -no adjustment whatsoever. Since you are using a FH lift rod simply determine the proper length for the solid rod and set the adjusting nut and stop collar (after removing the spring) to the same length and tighten everything up. Your FH lift rod now functions as fixed length lift rod.

Using your FH lift rod on a FH is different in that some applications require a fixed length for slight down pressure. Other applications actually no down pressure, plowing being one that immediately comes to mind. Fixed length + down pressure applied + hitting a rock lifting the plow = bent lift rod.

Bill

No down pressure is my goal, the ground I will be working after the winter is hard and full of rocks. I am thinking of using the 193 moldboard first then the front and rear cultivators.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:38 am

Jim Becker wrote:Not sure about relative positions of arms on the rockshafts, the FH rod may rub the fender when used with an early style rear rockshaft (even harder than the proper rod does). By the way, the FH rod is a lot harder to find (not bent) than the non-FH part. There must be someone nearby that is willing to trade with you.

Belive it or not even with that spring on there that doesn't belong there it doesn't rub.

Oh how right you are Jim, So far I haven't found one that isn't bent and I have seen them with rebar welded to them. I have had a few offers to trade for mine, but I think I will hold on to it.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 am

Scrivet wrote:

Those were the easy things to identify :)

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 am

tmays wrote:And the two rods look like rods that attach to 22 mower grassboard

That is what I identified them as after I thought they were for a potato planter which uses the same rods.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety