This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Advice on Farmall purchase

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AndrewB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: v0n2l0

Advice on Farmall purchase

Postby AndrewB » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi folks, this is my first post here. I was rummaging around the net looking for info on these farmall tractors and it would seem this is the spot. If anybody has any moments I have a few questions that I hoped folks around here might be able to shed some light on.

Essentially my situation is this. I run a smaller mixed vegetable operation on a few acres and was hoping to work towards expanding a bit and mechanizing more of the cultivation/weed control. I've been looking at the buddingh basket weeder and feel like the tool would be a really valuable start to keep early weeds down in a number of my root and lettuce plantings. I've seen it used up the road and am confident that it will gel well with our soil and situation. I won't be able to mount this on my current machine so I got to looking at these older Farmall rigs. Seems all of this cultivation work will be much easier if I have the tools in front of me where I can see them.

Problem is this.. I don't know much about these machines and buying a vehicle from 1950 without a lot of experience with them is feeling like a bit of stretch in sanity however so many good reports have me strongly considering it.

Do any of you have any experience running the baskets under your tractors? There are no Cubs around for sale around here at the moment, but there is a Super A as well as an A that are both running great. Am I correct in understanding that the cub and the A's are very similar aside from the A being just a little bit larger? Any reason that you guys can think of why I should be shying away from an A and continuing to hunt for a Cub? availabitly of parts etc? Is there any advice that can be offered as far as things I should be looking for and asking about when shopping around? Particular things that are often worn out and difficult to justify repairing?

Sorry to jump on here with a bunch of questions but any help and advice would be very much appreciated. I'll keep digging around and likely be back with more questions.
Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by AndrewB on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Advice on a bunch of things

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 pm

The farmall A doesn't have hydraulics unless they were added on. The farmall A has less horse power than the super A.
So the farmall super A has hydraulics and more horse power.
The farmall super A and farmall A are the same size but larger and more powerful than an farmall cub.
For heavy farming the super A is the way to go. The farmall cub is used for cultuvating and light work like mowing, sickle bar work, snow plowing.

I personally wished I purchased a farmall super A over my farmall cub, I may end up with a super A anyway(both).
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Re: Advice on Farmall purchase

Postby offrink » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 pm

I think the super A is a good choice if the price is right.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Of the 3 tractors mentioned, go for the running Super A.

Parts for all 3 tractors are readily available.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 am

Another advantage of the Super A is that it has a standard 1 3/8" 540 PTO. The Cub uses a 1" PTO shaft that runs reverse of a standard 540 PTO.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:56 pm

What he said above about the 540pto.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:28 pm

BigBill wrote:The farmall A doesn't have hydraulics unless they were added on. The farmall A has less horse power than the super A.
The farmall super A and farmall A are the same size but larger and more powerful than an farmall cub.
For heavy farming the super A is the way to go. The farmall cub is used for cultuvating and light work like mowing, sickle bar work, snow plowing.

I personally wished I purchased a farmall super A over my farmall cub, I may end up with a super A anyway(both).

The Super A and regular A have the same horsepower. They both use the C113. The Super A is the only one out of the Super series that doesn't have a change in engine power and size.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:52 pm

You didn't say where you are located. From the zip code not US? May affect cost/ a ailibity. Cub is exellent cultivating tractor.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn

Postby EarlyCub49 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm

V0N 2L0 is a postal code for Pemberton, British Columbia, Canada, thanks Google

Bruce T

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 pm

havoc1482 wrote:
BigBill wrote:The farmall A doesn't have hydraulics unless they were added on. The farmall A has less horse power than the super A.

The Super A and regular A have the same horsepower. They both use the C113. The Super A is the only one out of the Super series that doesn't have a change in engine power and size.

The last of the Super As had 123 engines I think they were called Super A 1 but I have seen them with only Super A on the decal
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

AndrewB
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AndrewB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Pemberton B.C. that's right. If parts are available in the states then they're likely available here. Not too far away from the border. Thanks for all the info! The machine that I'm looking at is a 1950. It's selling for 2500 bucks and I have yet to go take a look. Unfortunately he has none of the cultivation equipment so I'll be hunting around town for that stuff as well. Currently it's just tractor with a blade mounted up front. I imagine I would remove the blade and organize it to mostly do light field work. It sounds as if the cub would do just fine for what I have planned but you never know what you end up working on.

I'll likely be driving out to take a look at it in the next couple weeks. Anything in particular that anybody thinks I should keep an eye out for? Quirks that were common and difficult to repair?

AndrewB
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AndrewB » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 pm

I've just located a manual and it looks as if the adjustable front and rear axle was not an option and was standard, but the adjustable front axle wasn't stock standard? The manual is great!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Boss Hog wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:

The last of the Super As had 123 engines I think they were called Super A 1 but I have seen them with only Super A on the decal

False advertising?

I like the super A but I'd probably look better on a w6 or w4?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:11 am

Boss Hog wrote: The last of the Super As had 123 engines I think they were called Super A 1 but I have seen them with only Super A on the decal

From the factory, the Super A1 all had Super A decals. IH never made a "Super A1" decal. I'm sure they are available from Maple-Hunter.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:32 am

Boss Hog wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:

I heard they were simply a hold over platform for the introduction of the 100 which is why so few where made.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)