This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She's runnin' again...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

She's runnin' again...

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Happy weekend to you all....

Well, it's not correct, and I know it may not be as safe as a metal line, but Dad's Cub is running once more. I was told a helicoil would probably not work in the carb threads, so I decided, at least for now, to put it back like it was - with the rubber fuel line. Tapped the hole out once again with my 1/2 20NF. Attached the line and drove it around the yard for about 20 minutes - so far, I have no leaks at or around the new sediment bowl, the carb, or the rubber tubing. No leaks around the new oil pan gasket. I have good oil pressure (needle is about 3/4 over). Nothing is frying, so I suppose the new wiring harness is hooked up right. The only things I see that I don't like are:

1. I'm still getting some smoke - looks like it's coming from the oil breather cap - even though I soaked it in kerosene trying to clean it, it still doesn't look as clean as the air cap does. Think I should just get a new one? What could be causing that smoking?

2. I have a small oil leak coming from the new oil filter top gasket. The gasket looks centered on the cap to me, and I've got it good and tight. Maybe just a re-positioning is all it needs.

3. Engaged the PTO for the first time since I've had the tractor - it spins slowly for 3-4 revolutions, then stops. No big deal to me because none of the attachments I have use the PTO, and I'll probably never have any that do.

I may eventually try to get that metal line installed, but for now, I'm just happy it's running again.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions - couldn't have done it without ya'll!

Craig
1949 Cub 81987.
I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:27 pm

Craig,
Did you clean out the tube that goes from the block to the air cleaner? if you didnt and once that it cleaned some of the smoke should go away. my loboy smoked out of the dipstick and when we took it apart that is one thing we cleaned. it was packed no air could get through. We havent put the tractor back together yet to see if it helped but im sure it did. Not sure about your other questions. bet it felt good to drive it around again.
Image On To Bigger Things

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Yes, that line was packed on the tractor - reamed it out with some wire, then the compressed air would go thru. Also reamed out where the line connects to the block and the air cleaner.
Might hook up the old plow to her tomorrow and she how she pulls.
1949 Cub 81987.

I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:22 pm

Smoke coming from the breather cap. Blowby. The breather cap is working correctly - I wouldn't purchase a new one.

Try some Seafoam in the gas and oil. Try it to loosen up the rings - reduce the blowby. This may or may not work depending on engine condition.

Congratulations and good luck.

Eugene

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:39 pm

Your Oil Filter gasket maybe leaking because...You didn't use a NEW one...You didn't smear a little oil on it BEFORE you put it in for a BETTER seal...You may actually have the top tightened down TOO TIGHT? :cry: You may have LOST the small copper ring that goes on the top of the bolt to the oil filter? :cry:

Try removing the oil filter cap and refitting the gasket...be sure the small copper ring is there and installed properly (they're EASY to LOOSE)! DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN the oil filter cap...just nice and SNUG on the gasket! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Some of the newer filters are supplied with a red fibre gasket for on top of the filter cover. That is in place of the copper one talks of.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:05 pm

If the rubber gasket between the lid and block is leaking - clean off the 2 mating surfaces and get a new gasket. Don't over-tighten the lid trying to stop the leak; you'll warp the lid, distort the gasket and create a bigger leak. A gentle squeeze should be enough to seal it.

The copper washer under the bolt has never been a good seal for me. I have used neoprene o-rings but they have a short life span. I cut a disk out of a plastic gallon oil jug to seal the oil filter bolt when the o-ring failed, I used the thick part on the bottom. The plastic is oil resistant and the Cub doesn't get hot enough to melt it - I've got more serious problems if it ever gets that hot. The home-made washers have worked fine for about 3 years now on all the Cubs and the price is right.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:17 pm

NAPA sells a nylon sealing washer that works great! 1/2" I.D. very cheap to buy.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:13 pm

I purchased a 1/2" ID copper washer at the hardware store for around $0.25.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”