This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new to me 48

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new to me 48

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 pm

brianmacb wrote:Why does the starter need repaired? It works as it should when a current is put to it.
As I read your posts, the starter works on 12 volts and does not work satisfactorily on a brand new 6 volt battery. An indication that the starter needs repaired. Guessing the armature is dragging on the fields. Again guessing, needs new bushings and brushes.

Currently folks only see negative ground tractor/automotive electrical systems. Frequently someone not familiar with older systems will install the battery backwards.

Edit. Solenoid, might want to look up how a solenoid works.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:15 am

Eugene wrote:
brianmacb wrote:Why does the starter need repaired? It works as it should when a current is put to it.
As I read your posts, the starter works on 12 volts and does not work satisfactorily on a brand new 6 volt battery. An indication that the starter needs repaired. Guessing the armature is dragging on the fields. Again guessing, needs new bushings and brushes.

Currently folks only see negative ground tractor/automotive electrical systems. Frequently someone not familiar with older systems will install the battery backwards.

Agree with Eugene, higher voltage can compensate for faulty equipment sometimes. Not sure about what you are calling a solenoid, is it mounted on the starter and work with a pull rod? If so, then it's a mechanical starter switch and could have the contact surfaces inside burned or pitted not allowing sufficient current flow to make the starter work. Again, 12v might make it work, (for now) but will be a problem later.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

brianmacb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 66777

Postby brianmacb » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Eugene wrote:

Well I said I would give an update to what was going on with the cub. Well its running and running good now. A new set of plugs and wires, another new coil, new points, condenser and the bigger 1 gauge battery cables is what it took to get running. I will admit that its most likely my fault the points were fused due to the 12v jumping to the starter. As for the initial problem of the starter not turning that would be the original battery cables being corroded and too small to carry the current. So all this could most likely been avoided if I had just started with the larger gauge wires. Lesson learned to not jump a 6v with a 12v no matter what information you find on various forums and google. And as for the arcing when hooking the battery up as a positive ground, the service guy at case said it was most likely a short in the new coil I put on it. He said he tested it and it was bad out of the box apparently. The cub fired right up after the new parts were installed, very exciting, wish the lights were brighter though, its about like holding a candle in front of you trying to see in the dark.

Eugene, as far as your right or wrong definition of what a solenoid is you can say you're right and I'll tell you that its all the same thing no matter what you call it, a switch or solenoid because as for the definition of what a starter solenoid is "the part of an automobile which switches a large electric current to the starter motor, in response to a small control current, and which in turn sets the engine in motion."
Sounds like exactly what your starter switch does takes the large current from the battery and transfers it to the starter in turn starts the motor if all other elements are in place...
Oh and guess what, the starter works just fine and doesn't need repaired or replaced either;) Have a good one!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:55 pm

So you installed a battery with the ignition switch on. That will cause an arc at the battery terminal.

Yup. Sometimes I just don't believe everything that gets posted.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:29 pm

brianmacb wrote:......a starter solenoid is "the part of an automobile which switches a large electric current to the starter motor, in response to a small control current, and which in turn sets the engine in motion."
Sounds like exactly what your starter switch does takes the large current from the battery and transfers it to the starter in turn starts the motor if all other elements are in place...
It seems to me you are confusing how a starter and solenoid work with what they do. You are correct in that they both send a large current to the starter when activated, but it's how they do that is the defining difference. What controls a switch is a mechanical input, what controls a solenoid is an electrical input.

brianmacb
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 66777

Postby brianmacb » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 am

Eugene wrote:So you installed a battery with the ignition switch on. That will cause an arc at the battery terminal.

Yup. Sometimes I just don't believe everything that gets posted.

Just because you think you know everything doesn't mean you actually do there feller. The ignition switch was not on, and if you would've read the above post, the new 6v coil I had gotten for it had a short in it right out of the box, testing of it by the case service manager proved that. He told me that sometimes they do come bad from the factory and would cause an arc at the battery when the cables were hooked up. So there you have it. Done arguing with you, you are worse that my little brother was 25 years ago when we were kids...

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:32 am

brianmacb wrote:Just because you think you know everything doesn't mean you actually do there feller. The ignition switch was not on, and if you would've read the above post, the new 6v coil I had gotten for it had a short in it right out of the box, testing of it by the case service manager proved that.
I did read your post.

As far as thinking I know everything, I don't know who is going to win the 2016 presidential election.

Consider that electrons are negatively charged, and are attracted to the positive end of a battery. When the battery is hooked up to an appliance that lets the electrons flow through it, electrons, current, flows from negative to positive. 6 volt batteries are normally positive ground. Meaning that the current flows from the battery, through the ignition switch, then the coil, then points, then back to the positive ground of the battery.

There are a couple of other items that could cause a spark when connecting a battery cable; cutout, connection at the mechanical starter switch, ignition switch left on, light switch left on, a short in the wiring.

Like I previously stated, I just don't believe everything that's posted.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”