This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Excessive Blowby in a Refreshed Engine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Excessive Blowby in a Refreshed Engine

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:43 am

Folks,

Just finished helping a friend replace a refreshed engine in his Cub and it is blowing a lot of oil out the breather/filler tube. So the hunt for the problem begins, here are the facts:
Engine was:
    hottanked
    Miced and found to be within spec for standard rings and bearings
    Cylinders honed
    New valve guides installed
    Valves and seats ground and lapped in
    Head was surfaced
    Polished crank
My friend and another fellow installed the rings and bearings and assembled the engine
My friend and I installed the engine
    installed and timed governor and magneto, nice 1/4 inch blue spark
    Adjusted the valves .015 cold
    New plugs
    Thought compression was low 45 to 60 pounds dry, 45 to 67 pounds wet

Finally got the puppy to run using a 12 volt battery that spun the engine fast enough to start it. Now the low compression is explained by blowby out the breather/filler pipe, lots of blowby. My thoughts are:
    cylinders not honed properly
    Rings not installed properly
    Ring end gaps too large
    Ring end gaps not staggered enough
The machine shop has a sterling reputation and is the one I use/recommend, so I'm comfortable with his work, however, we all make mistakes. The engine has not been opened up yet.

My friend needs the help to get this puppy running with greatly reduced blowby. Any light you can shed on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Re: Excessive Blowby in a Refreshed Engine

Postby gitractorman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:56 am

I'm betting the rings are not installed correctly. Given all of the information and what looks to be a thorough job, I'd bet it was something simple like the rings not installed in the right order, or the all the end gaps lined up. Low compression and blow-by = ring problem. Luckily, you can drop the oil pan and pull the head, and take care of it without removing the whole engine.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Thought compression was low 45 to 60 pounds dry, 45 to 67 pounds wet.
If this is the compression test results after the engine rebuild, valves are also suspect.

I would plastigage the rod and main bearings when I did the in tractor tear down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Well Bill, Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you already know what's going on.
gitractorman wrote:Low compression and blow-by = ring problem.
I agree. It could be any/or a combination of the hone work, which type of rings, fitting of rings, and alignment, but on any re-ring I've done (Cub or otherwise) there's never been an issue with blow-by. I have had some oil consumption until the rings seated and that cleared up pretty quickly.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 pm

It's pretty much has to be rings or valves. Easiest to check is valve adjustment. It's hard to believe that a 50 year old engine is still within spec. with a standard bore. :roll: If the cylinder bore was at the upper limit then honed out to clean up the bores its more than likely well out of spec. now. What did the end gaps measure before installation? If the valves are properly adjusted, a bore job, new pistons & rings will make it like new.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Bill I am sure that a new set of oversized rings filed to fit will solve the problem. I expect you will find an assy error , broken rings, etc
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SouthernOutlaw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:46 am

I agree with every body that it is probably a ring problem. My first question with the rebuild is did anyone use a ridge cutter before honing the cylinders. I have made that mistake one time. Never again. Recheck the cylinder bore for out of round. It doesn't take much to keep rings from sealing. Also make sure the rings were not installed up side down. Again ask me how I know. Should be easy to find the problem, but will take a little checking. Ring gap. Buy next largest size file to minimum gap. New std rings may be at max gap. With every thing torn down rehone the cylinders.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:07 am

My suggestion would be to take it to the shop and let them check. I prefer to let the shop do the rings, etc. I can do them, but the shop is better and quicker. I have had several done at local shop and always pay them the $25 or so they charge to install and gap the rings, whether they be standard, or it has been bored. Out of all the engines I have had done for me and friends the only problem I have ever had was low oil pressure on one, and it turned out to be my gauge. :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kmokgm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50022

Postby kmokgm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 am

Before going too far, check the Breather Tube from the front of the block to the Air Cleaner. Also insure the passageway in the block is open into the crankcase as well as the connector at the Air Cleaner.
I assume you are working on a Farmall Cub. The numbered series Lo-Boys did not have the vent tube to the air cleaner. Not sure why.

TurboRoadster
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy

Postby TurboRoadster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:08 am

rings havent seated yet, open lower petcock on radiator, put garden hose in top of radiator, flow enough water to keep cold water circulating and draining out. While flowing the water, run the motor at a high idle for 30 minutes and see if they seal up.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Wish you were closer. You could put it on the Cub Dyno and run it under a load.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated. Just a bit of an update, the owner has used the Cub this summer, primarily to move wagons/trailers around the nursery, and is pleased with the power and performance of the Cub. He has not mentioned the blowby as being a problem, so I'll let that sleeping dog lye.

I now have his TC unit on my workbench. We disassembled it enough to determine that the screen needed replacing. Parts are ordered and complete teardown and rebuild will happen when all parts are in hand.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:01 pm

On the drag race engines I built once the oil pressure is up, the engine is up to operating temp, valves adjusted, timing set, carb adjusted its wide open throttle for 30 seconds to seat the rings. Never had any problems show up.

Your excessive blow by tells me it's the ring gaps are lined up or the ring gaps are too big.
Chrome rings take longer to seat under normal use.

Fact, my older new Husqvarna pro chainsaws were broken in right away. My new Husqvarna chainsaws took cutting twenty cords of firewood to break in. After being broken in the newer saws run awesome.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.