This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub-a-rama

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Cub-a-rama

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:08 am

Well, I guess Katrina has helped to make the decision for us :roll: :cry:

At the current price of gas :roll: , there is no way that Em and I are going to be able to travel 1800 miles each way and be able to eat and pay the mortgage at the same time.

That would be about 3600 miles give or take for the return trip if we didn't do anything else -- not likely so add another 400 just to be on the safe side. And that would just be for the 5 or 6 days I guess that it would take to get there, got to Cub-a-rama and come home with no real vacationing on the side to justify the expenditures..

With the van - I guess we can comfortable state that we would average about 25MPG as long as we didn't go too quickly or carry too much. With that number of miles to travel, that would mean 160 gallons of gas... at $4.41 US per gallon (based on Canadian prices converted) it would cost us at least $750.00US plus maintenance (oil changes etc, baring any repairs that might be needed), motel,hotel costs and such.. which would probably put the cost of the trip around $2500.00 or so Cdn., providing of course that the exchange rate doesn't change for the worse.

My pensions just don't allow that unfortunately.

Sooo, Em and I have had to make a hard decision :roll: :cry: . We will have to stay home this year. We both have been looking forward to it. Even from the git go last September/October when we really started thinking about this, to the reality of the surgeries and of course wanting to visit just in case this might have been my last chance... we have been hoping to go.

On top of the feelings that the trip is probably too long at this point in time, coupled with the twins starting University (we have 3 in university and one in grade 11) and the doubling of fuel costs in the last few months, leaves us with no other choice.

All we can do is hope for maybe a better shot next year... What really is a downer is that we were looking forward to meeting so many of you who are not just friends, but like family, finally in person. We have so much to be thankful for and so much we wish to thank you all for in person, we were hoping to be able to do this.

We are really disappointed, but we can always plan for next year.. maybe it will be more realistic..

Maybe too, we will win Lotto 649 or Super 7.... then we will be there with bells on, on a regular basis.

I am gettin maudlin here, so I is done... cheers :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:15 am

Rudi, I am sorry to hear that. I was really looking forward to meeting you. But, as you say, there's always next year!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:43 am

:cry: :cry: Rudi, was looking forward to meeting you and Em too. Take care of yourself.

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Rudi I do understand and it is going to hurt a lot of folks that have very far to travel, I was hoping to meet you but maybe next year things will improve really sorry
Jim Turner

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:28 pm

sorry to hear you can't make it, maybe ypu will next time.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Rudi don't feel bad. I cannot even afford to think about going. The internet connection about does me in.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Lets plan on next year Rudi, OK? Consider flying to St. Louis and renting a car. I think you'd find it to be a cheaper alternative, especially if the gas prices stay high.

Or better yet, don't rent a car, let me pick you up at the airport on my way to the Cubarama!

Dennis
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:59 pm

I plan on having my time together next year. Drive or fly down to NY and the 4 of us could ride out together. Spend a couple of days comming and going.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Rudi,

I was tossing around what to do too, but I think that I am in the same mindset as you, AND I am just a little over 200 miles away.

If I took a Cub I could not pull it with the gutless LeSharo and if I brought the truck and trailer and I would have no place to stay.

This made up my mind. I went over to Missouri today and "topped off" both the generator tank and the main fuel tank on the motorhome (mainly for a small at home reserve), both of them together took 9.15 gallons and it came to 28.00 bucks and that's when I decided that maybe I better rethink about going to Fredericktown, MO. Now remind you I get almost 20 MPG with it (especailly now after the tune up), but still at over 3 bucks a gallon, one has to give it some strong consideration. Then yourself at 3600 miles it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that end result.

So anyhow, after I filled up both tanks, I drove it home and parked it until next year and hopfully by then the gas will come back down to a reasonable price. I guess I was REALLY stupid for buying a RV with todays gas prices huh? .

Anyhow I blew enough play money this year anyways. I guess it won't hurt me to sit this trip out. Mary or the kids didn't really showed any interest in going sooooo, I was by myself on this one........With the high price of gas and a gutless engine and NO family deisire, I am thinking, probably staying at home is the best solution, Maybe we (you and I) can make it to something next year.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:22 pm

Rudi, John, and all others who aren't able to make the trip to Cubarama -

We're saddened to hear y'all can't make it. We understand the demands of family, work and economics of a road trip. We will miss your companionship, but to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara: Tomorrow's another day and better times are yet to come.

Carl and Cathy
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

LittleJohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17815
Tractors Owned: 1962 Cub

CubARAMA

Postby LittleJohn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Where is it being held ??? Somewhere in N.Y. ?

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:11 pm

Little John it is in Fredricktown Mo about 200 miles South of St Louis Mo
Jim Turner

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:11 pm

About 90 miles south of Sr Louis on Hwy 67. For me it's only aobut 50 miles, so I'll get to go unless soemthing unexpected comes up.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:52 pm

Dennis, John and all:

Em and I were sitting at the table for lunch today and talking about Cub-a-rama and how it was a shame that we were going to miss it.

Em was saying too that maybe next year it might be a go, the youngest will be older and in Grade 12 and she will be able to handle a lot of what she needs on her own. Might even leave her the putt-putt..

So we will see what shapes up. In the meantime, I think I will continue to recuperate and get stronger. Whilst I am in the process of doing that, I plan on getting some seat time this week, get a little more done on the Manual server upgrades I am working on as well as the other computer projects. and see where we can get with my two Grader Blade restoration projects. Winter is coming and be nice for Gord and I to have our blades mounted...

I am sorry that we will not be going, and I really am dissapointed that it will be a while before I get a chance to meet the wonderful people on this forum who are no longer just good :!: :D 8) friends, but family

And yup, flying will definitely be on the list of choices for prefered modes of transport :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Rudi you and I will have to have a far north Cub-O-Rama. :D
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”