This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas Tank Tool More Info

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gas Tank Tool More Info

Postby WKPoor » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:08 pm

Earl has finished 2 copies of the gas tank reforming tool. He used the tool on my Cub and H. We discovered the original 05-572 will not work on the Cub tank. Also after using the tool it was decided that the tool needed a way to easily index it once it was in place so a keyway was added along with a pin. Also the rope had a large washer on the end which we discovered could damage a nice paint job if not covered before the operation was started. So all mods were made and tool works nicely. It will now work on lettered and numbered models.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:24 pm

WKPoor,

I am just wondering, did you use a end "thrust" type bearing under the nut? Not actaully ever seeing one of these, other than the pictures Justin took for me I was not 100 percent sure what was taking place.

Thanks,

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 am

Bill:

Looks like you and Earl have outdone yourselves again :!: Image :!: :idea: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:25 am

am just wondering, did you use a end "thrust" type bearing under the nut? Not actaully ever seeing one of these, other than the pictures Justin took for me I was not 100 percent sure what was taking place.

That is correct, thrust bearing is whats pictured.
Something else I forgot to mention- this tool will reform any tank regardless of condition. It will flatin out the lip slightly. IH must have decided the sealing surface needed to be that way. We noticed that after using it on a tank that had an already near perfect lip to start with. My thoughts are that IH was supposed to use this tool on every tractor that came to them for a cap. I'm sure that never happened. The idea is what good is the new cap if it leaks at the seal. Thats just my thought.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:21 am

Very, very nice work. I'm certainly ready for a field trial. :) please pass along our thanks to Earl.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:17 pm

So is this tool going to be loaned to forum members with instructions? Or are they going to be mass produced and sold at a reasonable price to forum members? Just curious because I have about 8 tractors to use it on.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:03 pm

I see a problem, and probably the reason why the tool used as a pattern would not work on your cub. The two that I have & the one my local dealer have are all the same. These have been used on cubs, and the one thing I have noticed is that the one that has been reproduced produces a flat surface. The 3 tools I have access to all make a radiused edge on the filler neck. The actual forming cup is radiused, and the "wedge that is drawn up to the forming cup is radiused to match. maybe the tool that was patterned off of was not correct or modified..

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 pm

nosih, did you have the same p/n 05-572 tool.
The problem wasn't as you suspect. The outside forming piece had too long a shoulder and would wedge onto the neck. Earl very carefully examined the copy tool against a filler neck cut from a scrap tank and determined the correct seal angle and radii. Then the tool was fitted against the tank cutout while in the lathe. I feel certain this tool will most correctly form a cub filler opening. Also I compared the Cub tank to the H tank, only diff being the height of the neck.

To answer anyone's question as too how to obtain the tool. Bigdog has posted a proposal in another post. Anyone wanting to bear the cost themselves is more that welcome, simply PM me. Either way the tool will be made available to everyone very soon.

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:04 am

same tool part number