This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall cub ignition issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1977searsdude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21784

Farmall cub ignition issue

Postby 1977searsdude » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Ok so here is a little information on the tractor before I get into my problem. The tractor was bought new from the factory by my great grand father mostly to use as a field mower on his farm ( has a woods underbelly mower)
And it was passed down through the family to me now. It usually get used every summer to mow horse field and just run around. It's never been restored and everything seems to be original. When I got it out this year I jump started off of a 12 volt battery hooked to the 6volt battery and after looking over the tractor I went off to mow a field and got about ten minutes into mowing the tractor shut off suddenly showing no sign of overheating or fuel starvation. I went to start it and the battery was dead which I kinda figured but when I jumped it off the 12 volt it started right up and did the same thing. So my question is what do you guys think the issue is my guess was to get a new coil and 6 volt battery but being 15 and having many projects I can't splurge on the tractor although I am relatively well versed in mechanics espically tractors and equipment.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall cub ignition issue

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Welcome.

First thing, charge up the 6 volt battery. See if the tractor starts and runs. If not have the battery tested at your local auto parts store.

My guess is that the 6 volt battery is shot.

My next guess is that the electrical charging system; regulator or cutout, generator is not working. Was the amp gauge showing a charge when the engine was running at 1/2 to 3/4 full throttle?

I wouldn't purchase a coil at this time.

I understand that you are 15 years old. That's great. Having owned and working on vehicles, tractors, machines for over 50 years, something always goes wrong and costs repair money. Sometimes big bucks. Just suggesting that if you want to keep the Cub, you will need to spend money on maintenance and repairs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

1977searsdude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21784

Postby 1977searsdude » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Alright so I plan on buying a 6volt battery and have been on a look out for where to buy one but is there anywhere other than battery ware house that still Carrys 6volt battery's I know that the tsc near me does not carry them.
Also the amp gage dude not read that it was charging but I do not know wether or not it has ever worked and today I started it up and removed both battery cables and the charging system did not keep it running. So I'm starting to look into the generator and wiring

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Investigate converting the electrical system to 12 volt single wire alternator. The conversion will cost you about the same or perhaps a tad more than a 6 volt regulator. And a whole lot less if you have to repair or purchase a generator, with a 6 volt regulator.

6 volt batteries are available at your auto parts store. However, I wouldn't purchase a new 6 volt battery until I had the 6 volt regulator and generator tested.

I have converted all my tractors with 6 volt electrical systems to 12 volt alternators. I've had one alternator fail in 15 years, and that alternator was on the tractor when I purchased it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Find the problem first before you make any major changes. I found this post very helpful for trouble shooting charging systems. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38133
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:50 am

First of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear your story of inheriting your great-grandfather's tractor.

Secondly, you're getting some great advice to isolate and identify the problem first before throwing money (which most of us don't have) at it. There are additional "How-To's" in that section that you may want to read and use.

If you have any questions, let us know and we'll try to help. Welcome! :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

mva1958
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23314

Postby mva1958 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 am

inairam wrote:Find the problem first before you make any major changes. I found this post very helpful for trouble shooting charging systems. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38133

:Dito:

6 volt batteries can be tested by an auto parts store and if it's bad they can order one if they don't have one in stock. Ag-centric stores like Tractor Supply may have 6V batteries on the shelf. NAPA has about the best prices of the chain auto parts stores. You want a group 1 or 19L, group 1 has slightly smaller dimensions, the 19L is a shade too big for the battery box. Best price will probably be a local or regional farm supply store. Once you have a strong battery you can investigate further if necessary.
If only Mrs. Hoyt and Mrs. Clagwell had gotten along...

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 am

Slightly different opinion. We know that the electrical system is not working.

Wait on buying parts, including a 6 volt battery. Have the battery, generator, and voltage regulator/cutout tested.

There could be other problems with the electrical system.

Once you determine the condition of the battery, generator, voltage regulator, - then make a decision on repairs or alterations.

Do not throw parts and money at the tractor until you determine the problem(s) and solutions. Also investigate the cost of repair parts, if applicable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 am

All of the above is good advice.
These questions and problems are probably the most asked and discussed on this forum.

First step is to answer these two questions:

Do I want to keep the cub original with 6 volts, generator, magneto or distributer?

Or do I just want it to be more dependable with possibly fewer starter and running problems?

It is possible to have both systems made reliable, but can be difficult to maintain a 6 volt system. That being said, I have both 6 volts and 12 volts that so far are good.

So, if you want to keep it original, first have the battery checked and if good, bench charge it fully. Then follow the above guidelines for troubleshooting your charging system.

But if you elect to change it over to a 12 volt. You can get an alternator,battery, coil and Petronix electronic ignition for around $200-250. Tractor will start better and run better with more power.

Your decision. Either will work.

JMHO
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 pm

In my limited experience there are a number of big and small things that go wrong with the electrical system. It could be a bad ground, corroded thermals/ connections, bad battery, regulator or generator...... It is easier to get all of the small stuff off the table like putting a charge on the battery and clean all of the connections and go through the trouble shooting how to. Since the Cub was in the family does anyone know how old the battery is? If it is less than 2-3 years old I would put a charge on it before replacing it ( even before having it tested) and start looking elsewhere. I have not had a generator go bad, so I have not faced the decision to convert to 12 v. 3 out of 4 of my cubs are still 6 v positive ground. I have had cheap regulators go in less than a season and good ones last for years and years. Again in my experience, most of the time a charging problem is the battery or the connections after that ID the regulator or the generator with the how to.

Get is running and run it so you can see what else may be wrong over the entire tractor. That way you can plan a budget of money and time for necessary repairs verses longer term improvement/ restoration projects.

My goals are simple
1) get it to start,
2) Get it to start reliably,
3) Get everything working as it should
4) stop or at least try to slow down leaks
5) Then decide on projects for what you want to do with it.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

You can pretty much count on the 15 year old battery being shot. I wouldn't even waste my time having it tested, unless you just like to pester the guys at the parts counter.

Since it's the "family" tractor, I would highly recommend keeping the charging system original. Generator systems are not too tough to troubleshoot.

The tractor will run a LONG time on a 6V battery and a non-functioning charging system. Put the battery on a charger/maintainer between mowings and it will run indefinitely.