This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Idles low when clutch it's engaged

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bgrif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43357

Idles low when clutch it's engaged

Postby bgrif » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:43 am

Hey all,
I'm new to this forum and to Cubs. Have had other tractors, but just purchased my uncle Bud's 1947 Farmall Cub. Don't really have to many questions, but one thing that bothers me is when I push the clutch pedal in, it idles way down, almost killing it unless I rev the engine up. Not sure if that's common on some of these or not. For the most, It runs fine and cuts fine (it has a belly mower) , but being new to Cubs, I wasn't sure if this is common or not.
Also, has anyone else had problems taking the mag out. This mag sends to be really stuck, not sure the best method of getting it out without prying on it to much?
Thanks
-Ben-

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Idles low when clutch it's engaged

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:55 am

Common. Just the nature of the beast. Unlike most clutch throw out bearings, it is a solid piece of "graphite" type material. This throw out bearing puts a load on the engine when the clutch is depressed.

Edit: Why do you want to remove the magneto? Should unbolt and slide to the rear of the tractor. There is a couple steps to take before removing the magneto such as placing the engine on TDC, #1 cylinder.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 am

bgrif wrote:Hey all, I'm new to this forum and to Cubs. Have had other tractors, but just purchased my uncle Bud's 1947 Farmall Cub. Don't really have to many questions, ...... but being new to Cubs....
Welcome to the FORUM, Ben. Lots of information available here for new (and old) cub owners. Owners/parts/service/attachments Manuals free downloads at the top of this page and the wealth of knowledge of the FORUM members who will answer your questions and share their knowledge with you. Browse the "HOW TO FORUM" for tips and tricks on cub problems and repairs. This post is especially helpful: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765 Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:18 am

That is normal clutch behavior. But make sure you grease the throwout bearing as the Owner's Manual says. Use cheap grease.

People rarely have trouble removing the magneto. I've popped a few loose by bumping the side with the palm of my hand. Don't go crazy on it as you can break the housing. The place most have trouble is reinstalling it.

Bustntruckers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21904

Postby Bustntruckers » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 am

are you removing the bolt/clip from the backside???...like a dist it has one in front & one in back,,,,make sure your on TDC & tap with a rubber mallet or your fist..should pop right out,,if idle is to slow tweak the idle screw up a turn or 2

bgrif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43357

Postby bgrif » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have read through quite a bit of these forums, great information. I have checked, replaced and repaired quite a few things on the tractor and these forums have helped a lot

I was wanting to take the mag off to replace the condensor and points. I had the bolts off, checked to make sure I had everything loose and it would not budge. I tried taping with the Palm off my hand, then tried a rubber mallet. I could not get the mag to move at all. We have our festival coming up this weekend, so I replaced the points and condensor with the mag on the tractor (which is not fun).
Thanks
-Ben-

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:14 am

Hi,
Welcome to the website. Greasing the throwout bearing might not be easy with a rotary mower under the Cub, but should be done some.
Besides greasing the fitting, I also put a little grease on 1 finger and reach up through the hole, and use a light, and put a thin layer of grease directly on the face of the throwout bearing. It seems the engine doesn't slow down as much when pushing the clutch down then.
Here is a page from the 1947 Cub owner's manual showing greasing the bearing, it is number 28 in the pic. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-21.jpg