This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

update on kenscub rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kenscub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75790
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

update on kenscub rebuild

Postby kenscub » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:30 am

Put he steering back together until I can find a steering shaft and worm. Took the hood and gas tank off - not nearly as hard as I was told it would be. Gas tank is very clean on the inside. Found enuff dirt and dust in the generator to start a west Texas dust storm. The Voltage regulator was stuck. The easy solution, for me anyway, was change over to a 12 volt alternator. (GM one wire same thing I use on all my Model A Fords). Replaced 6v col with 12v coil that does not require external resistor.

Drained out some very dirty/black oil from the crankcase and refilled with 30 wt. Installed a new Ignition switch.. Installed a new glass in the ampmeter. Ampmeter worked - just broken glass. Little water in the radiator. Temporary gas tank. And she is ready to try to start. BTW the radiator leaks.

Started right up and surprisingly ran very smooth. The hydraulic - one touch works smooth and no leaks.. Then had to shut her down and address the water in the transmission. Drained the trans. Flushed with kerosene, then drained and syphoned he kerosend out until dry. Then filled with 90 wt, put he lid back on, hooked up the battery and started her/him again+. This time she/he went for a tour to the pasture. Even the mowere worked unti l the belt jumped off pulley, so back to the shop. I did not have the idler pulley or thebelt tight enough. It was getting dark by now so fixing the belts is tomorrows project.

gonna try again to master the photo posting.
Attachments
cub 11 27 2016 3.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: update on kenscub rebuild

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:38 am

kenscub wrote:. . . Then had to shut her down and address the water in the transmission. Drained the trans. Flushed with kerosene, then drained and syphoned he kerosend out until dry. Then filled with 90 wt, put he lid back on, . ..

Did you do all this through the top of the transmission? The low point of that reservoir is the differential and the drain plug is back there. If you didn't pull the drain plug, there is a lot of contamination still in there.