This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical problems-cont.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdrake
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20854

Electrical problems-cont.

Postby cdrake » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:36 pm

I am having problems with my system charging. First, I need to explain that (as far as I can figure) this is a 12V conversion, and has a magneto.
I have drawn my schematic from what I am seeing on the tractor, and it differs from any one that I have seen so far.

If I can figure out how to attach, I'll do it! However, in the meantime, I'll try to explain as best I can:

I have a voltage regulator and my system retains the old 4 position , 6 volt switch (see Steiner Tractor's IHS1636). It has a fuse.
Ammeter supplies juice to the switch. The main difference I see with this is that "L" from VR goes to the resistor on the 4 pos. switch. Everything else
appears to be like most other schematics.

All I know is that with this arrangement, it used to charge.

Any thoughts?? -greatly appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Electrical problems-cont.

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:17 pm

If everything else is connected properly, nothing needs to be connected to the L terminal on the regulator on a magneto system. The L terminal is for powering the ignition and lights.

Some people (myself included) shortcut and tap directly off the ammeter for the lights and ignition. This saves running a wire from the L terminal on the regulator.

cdrake
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20854

Re: Electrical problems-cont.

Postby cdrake » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Matt:

So the "L" term. wire on the VR goes back to the resistor to power the lights; do you think that is going on here? If so, I can leave it to power my lights?
Not sure what "ignition wire" you are talking about? Unless it is my ammeter wire to "hot" (joins with 2 ga cable from battery) on the starter?

Do you think that I could go with later 4 position ,12V switch?

Thanks in advance,
CD

Return to “Farmall Cub”