This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"Loose" Fan Pulley Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
YellowPower
10+ Years
10+ Years

"Loose" Fan Pulley Question

Postby YellowPower » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:02 am

I'm currently putting the engine back together. The pistons and valves are in and I put the front engine cover on tonight.

I put the fan pulley on and it just slid right onto the crankshaft. The front oil seal formed a good seal without needing a wear sleeve. It never leaked oil before, so I assume that's okay. But I've read that it is hard to remove and install the fan pulley, yet it also came off rather easily as well. When I say easily, I mean by hand -- on and off. Does this ease of removal/installation mean I have a problem?

Also, I might as well go ahead and ask . . . on the seals themselves (which I got from Bates Corporation) there is a "beveled edge" and on the other side you can see a spring aroung the seal. Which side should be facing the oil (i.e. the interior of the engine)?

Thanks.
Dan
'65 & '67 Lo-Boys

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 am

The Pulley is a very tight fit on the crank, an interferance fit it is called, you will see posts from others more experienced than me if you do a "search", see the top of the board page. Taking off needs a very strong puller, putting back heating the pulley in the oven.
The oilseal should have the spring-side to the inside of the engine, the oil-side.
Pat

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:33 am

I had one that was an easy slip fit like yours. I junked it. I think the reason it was an easy fit was because some well intentioned previous person sanded it out to make it easier to install. In my case, the crankshaft wasn't harmed. I hope yours wasn't either.

The reason I wouldn't use it... if it can move slightly when the engine fires, eventually it will wallow the keyway and possibly damage the crankshaft. That's why they are supposed to fit tightly.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:35 pm

I agree with what Geroge said. alo the spring side of the sela goes toward the oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

YellowPower
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby YellowPower » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:48 pm

Thanks to all of you.

George, I read what you wrote this morning and have been thinking about it during the day and you're right. I need to get another pulley. I'm getting tired of the delays and spending the $$$, but I've got to do it right. When I looked at it closely tonight, I think the keyway was already starting to wear. Clearly it's not right so I'll order one tomorrow. Thanks for the personal experience.

On the bright side, I did have the oil seals (governor and front crankcase installed in the right direction).

Tonight I put the cylinder head back on and installed the spark plugs, water outlet elbow, oil pump and rear crankcase cover. So things are still moving along. Hopefully tomorrow the engine will be ready to be recoupled with the rear housing (and I'll just do the pulley from the front when it arrives).
Dan

'65 & '67 Lo-Boys

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:59 am

Whne you install the new/used tighter pulley, screw a threaded rod into the end of the crank. Then use a couple of spacers and a nut to pull it on to the shaft, don't drive it on. alos putting it in boiling water for a while and installing while still hot helps.

YellowPower
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby YellowPower » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:00 am

John -- But it's so much more fun to pound things into place!

Seriously though, thanks for the tips. I will do it that way.
Dan

'65 & '67 Lo-Boys

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:34 pm

the center main bearing has thrust shoulders to prevent end play in the crankshaft. Driving the pulley on can damage them.