This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Back to square one - Flooding problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Back to square one - Flooding problem

Postby Urbish » Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 am

I would clean it up as well as I could, let it thoroughly dry, and give it a POR-15 treatment. The POR-15 may not adhere as well as it should since there's another product on there already, but I think given all the surface bumps and lumps, it may hold ok. Either way, it would create a complete shell within the tank that should hold. Think of it as being no different than if you lined your tank with a rubber bladder. You can do POR-15 yourself very easily. Read and follow the instructions and be patient.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

They also sell a kit with the sealer + degreaser + metal prep. I don't think the metal prep would do you much good since most of the metal in there is already covered up (and you've already been running it in an e-tank).

I did my H's tank with POR-15 (just the sealer, none of the prep) over 10 years ago and it's holding up really good. My prep was to put a few lbs of gravel in the tank and shake it around for a long time, rinse, repeat, dry, seal.
Jim

Circle of Safety

BenM
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30107
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub

Postby BenM » Wed May 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Here's an update. It ran for about 8 hours last night and when I pulled it off this morning it was a big difference. The amount of gunk I got out was as much or more than all the other time put together. The additional anode made a huge difference. It actually looks worse now though:

It did such a good job that the coating in it is coming off in sheets on the sides. It looks like there's a nice crack in it at the bottom too. You can see some thats still partially attached to the wall at the top. No way I am going to try to put a sealer in it with it sheeting off like that.

I had already decided to add some extra filtration and I am going to regardless of where I end up with this. I think I am going to run it again for another 24 hours, this time with another anode added. If I can get it clean enough for a sealant great, if not I will add the extra filtration and take it from there.

BenM
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby BenM » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Just had a thought, Would anyone be interested in write up on the electrolysis process for the how to section?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

BenM wrote:Just had a thought, Would anyone be interested in write up on the electrolysis process for the how to section?
There's several already listed on the "SHOP TIPS" section of the "HOW TO FORUM" viewforum.php?f=150 . Here's one of them by Bob in CT: viewtopic.php?f=150&t=47973
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

BenM
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby BenM » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Cool, thanks stan. Got the tank cooking again with the third anode. Checked the bit I could touch from the bottom and I was able to chip it off with my fingernail. That's promising.

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Thu May 04, 2017 7:16 am

I would like to see info on your setup for cleaning the inside of the tank. Pictures of your anodes and how you installed them in the tank would be helpful. Don't think I have seen a good "how to " for the inside of a fuel tank.