This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rebuilding the touch control box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
huntingpal
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: huntingpal

rebuilding the touch control box

Postby huntingpal » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:42 pm

I have my touch control out for a rebuild and was wanting to get any advice or pointers you can pass along. And also When looking at the TM site I saw none of the boots for the shafts coming in and out of the front end. Are these available yet? I only need one as the other one looks fine. Thanks for any help you can lend!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:01 pm

The boots are still available. However the one for the large piston is different from the original. Get the one for a Super A hydraulic unit if you want it to fit like the old one.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:21 pm

I am in the same situation, here are a couple of tips I got from John $#%&# Cub owner.

CLEAN, since I figure the thing is just too heavy for the kitchen table (OK for carbs!) I will be using the bench in the garage. I will either use newspaper or heavy poly on top of the bench. I did scrub it pretty well once I had it off the Cub, very careful to plug the orifices and the control cyl hole.

There is a set screw (1/8"?) that holds the clevis pin on the control cyl.

I believe he said inside snap ring pliers, but mine are 'reversable' so I think I am set for special tools.

I have a gallon of HyTran and the gasket/o-ring kit. I didn't get a strainer (it was $50) but kinda suspect that I may need one.

Also got the boots specified in the parts manual, but Big Dog is right... the rubber boot does not fit correctly over the big piston 'ring' in the casting. The number for the one that fits is 351 754 R3.

I am trying to figure out how to 'wash' the original leather boot as it is in good shape, just has some crud on it.

Good luck!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:24 am

I have read that people soak it in kerosene to freshen the boot up. I have never done it my self. Try using the search featureon the top of the page and you will probably find the info.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:36 am

What about after soaking the boot in kero or something to clean it, you put neatsfoot oil on it to protect it and keep it supple.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:26 am

Kero! Thanks, that is the cheap, readily available kind of idea I like.
I will post a picture of what it looks like now (before)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)