This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine smokes, but not comsuming

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Engine smokes, but not comsuming

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:55 pm

I know this had been discussed several times but I have something that seems odd to me.

My Cub smokes, but never enough to show on the dip stick. I haven't added any oil since the first time I changed it and until today that oil had about 30 hours of use, give or take.

AND NO the touch control level is full and it's not steam either.

After I got my 54 F-Cub back together I changed all the fluids and oil and filter. I had the valve cover off and everything I could see was just as clean as possible and same with the oil pan when I drained the old oil out. BUT the oil filter housing drain tube was full of sludge and I had to run a wire up it to unplug it. I thought to myself, no big deal the PO didn't drain the housing and there is 50 years of collecting in it.

The very first oil change I did I used 20 weight DETERGENT oil and today when I changed the oil, there was a full cap of sludge already in the filter housing drain. This is probably due to the detergent oil I used and crud it coming out of the engine. the detergent oil is doing what it is suppose be be doing, cleaning.

Well now that I have changed the oil and filter for the second time with 30 weight HD NON-DETERGENT oil. The engine smoked for about 5 minutes and cleared up and no signs of any smoke, unless you throttle up and back down to lowest idle real fast you could detect a very very slight trace of blue smoke, but you really have to be looking for it.

The oil that was in the engine looked real good and had good body and texture, no signs of any grit and wasn't thin. For any engine to smoke it has to be burning some.......RIGHT :?: I ran the engine on and off for a little over an hour and it's still no signs of smoke. Why is it not smoking since the oil change? At full operating temp. the engine carries good oil pressure, 30 lbs. at high and 12-15 lps. at low.

The fuel is just regular gasoline with the correct amount of Stabil added for how ever many gallons. When I first started using the cub I added a 50:1 ratio of 2 cycle oil to the gas, since it sat idle for so many years, (as I do with all engines that have been sitting for long period of time in hopes that it gave a little extra oil lubrication to the upper end and valves) but this gas has been long used up by late spring.

Should I stay with the DETERGENT oil or not? I assume that HD means Heavy Duty, but I don't think that would make any difference in smoking or not.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Engine smokes, but not comsuming

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:27 pm

jniekamp wrote: Well now that I have changed the oil and filter for the second time with 30 weight HD NON-DETERGENT oil. The engine smoked for about 5 minutes and cleared up and no signs of any smoke, unless you throttle up and back down to lowest idle real fast you could detect a very very slight trace of blue smoke, but you really have to be looking for it.

Should I stay with the DETERGENT oil or not? I assume that HD means Heavy Duty, but I don't think that would make any difference in smoking or not.

John

That little bit of smoke would be valve guides (probably). You are going from low vacuum (high speed) to high vacuum (idle) when you rapidly shut down the rpms. I wouldn't worry about it.

My opinion - use what ever oil suits you. Me, I use the cheapest 30wt detergent oil available at the local dollar stores.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:32 pm

John, might try putting some Sea Foam in the oil and gas both.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!