This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to Farmall Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rmichalski
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03051

New to Farmall Cub

Postby rmichalski » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:55 am

Greetings,
I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 1955 Farmall Cub. Runs and drives, working on the lights at this point.
Looking forward to discussing light restoration and some rewiring. Have the manuals and a thirst for the electrical and mechanical function of the tractor. I'm already into buying missing parts and replacing damaged and rusted parts. Found and bought used floor pan and dash panel. Both originals are rusted thru. Would like to redo the battery cables when I install the new battery box. Not sure about the factory connection of the positive lead to the battery box side?? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance
Dick Michalski
Dick Michalski
Farmall Cub 1955, Fast Hitch and with hydraulics and adjustable front axles, 6 volt Battery Ignition.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to Farmall Cub

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am

Dick, Welcome to the forum.
Parts used or new check sponsors at bottom of page. You can also check the for sale items section.
If you use the search function and how to forum you can find most every thing including pictures.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am

The pos ground using a braided cable was a topic about a week ago. You can probably search to find it. On the Plus side is it allows the complete battery box to be used, down side is rust/corrosion over time degrades the quality of the ground to the chassis. Some prefer a ground to a bolt like the transmission cover for a more secure chassis ground.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:29 am

Dick,
Welcome to the forum.
Were you able to attend the New England Power of the Red show in Dublin, NH this past weekend? Several forum members there.

Floor pan can be a bear to replace. Start soaking all the fasteners with a good penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil.

Good to hear you are reading through the manuals - lots of good information in them!

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

rmichalski
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rmichalski » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

Greetings,
Thanks for the welcome and the early replies.
My background is electronics and electrical. The first rule, for me, is short leads and big current capability, especially for battery connections. I have 2 battery cables now that add up to over 6 feet combined. They are battery negative to starter (the original cable from 1955), and battery positive thru a disconnect switch (knob type mounted on the battery) to a bolt near the starter. This positive lead already shows signs of melting. Probably from long cranking. I will be scraping paint, testing with an ohmmeter and making good mechanical connections. By the way, with a fully charged battery the starter cranks slowly or not at all. Troubleshooting this as well.
Is there a term called "Tractoritis" ? If so, I have it!!!!
More to follow.
Dick Michalski
Farmall Cub 1955, Fast Hitch and with hydraulics and adjustable front axles, 6 volt Battery Ignition.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 am

With an electrical background I'm sure you know the importance of a good ground. I would start looking at all connections for corrosion to solve the cranking problem.

Cables should be 1 awg or heavier. Cable to starter from battery is 84" long. Ground cable is about 10".
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

rmichalski wrote: By the way, with a fully charged battery the starter cranks slowly or not at all.

If all the connections are clean, you might want to pull off the starter button on the starter and check/clean it (or remove it and see if a direct connection to the starter makes a difference).
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

Dick,
Welcome to the site. It looks like the more knowledgeable guys than me have you covered.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm

There are a few very important sections on this forum:

The VINE: The free classifieds section where you can post wanted as well as for sale ads. Lots of folks on here have bunches of spare parts, or can direct you to good/reliable sources.

The HOW TO section: Many posts, as well as videos, showing most of the common repairs.

MANUALS: Most of the Cub manuals (Owners, Service, Parts, as well as implements) are available above for free download.

One more note, TM Tractors (site sponsor with link below) is not only a good source for parts, but a great reference for parts and implements. Quite a few parts are available from your local auto parts store, as well...I tend to use NAPA, because they are close, and there is one guy who actually knows how to look up and/or cross reference parts! If they don't have things, they usually can get them in 1-2 days, and I don't have to pay shipping.

Anyway, welcome, good luck, and be advised...CUBITIS is seldom curable!! :big smile:
This :tractor: often leads to :tractor: :tractor: :tractor: ........ :{_}:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:25 pm

rmichalski wrote:Is there a term called "Tractoritis" ? If so, I have it!!!!
Welcome to the FORUM and the world of CUBS. Yes there is a disease, it goes by different names in different parts of the country (and the world, in case you haven't noticed) but the symptoms are basically the same. It is incurable and the only relief of the symptoms is time spent with tractors and related equipment. Enjoy the ride!!!
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Welcome Dick.
Only you can take the fun out of your tractor....Enjoy!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Welcome.
staninlowerAL wrote:Some prefer a ground to a bolt like the transmission cover for a more secure chassis ground.
Move the battery ground cable to the top of the transmission case. This will greatly improve the starter cranking speed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure if you meant you have the owner's manual.
Below are pages from the 1955 Cub owner's manual showing the wiring, and how they looked under the hood.
The numbers on the 1st page are explained on the 2nd page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2049.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

The experts on here recommend that people read the Cub owner's manual, it has much info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. It is at the top left of the page, at Quick links, and then PDF Manuals. There are 2, 1955 owner's manuals, I think. Either one can be used. They have pics of how the Cubs originally looked too.

The 6 volt system was originally positive ground.
Below is a new battery cable, and ground strap at TM Tractor, which is at the bottom of most pages on here.
IH used a number 2 cable to the starter originally, I think.
There are pics in the 2 listings below of how the battery looked, with the ground strap on the battery box, if you would rather have it that way. That is the original way, except IH had a ground cable, instead of a strap.
Sometimes the battery box needs sanding on the bottom, and the housing under it needs sanding, so it makes good contact for the ground cable attached the original way.
I've had my 1956 Cub for 45 years, and it has always worked normally with the number 2 cable, and the ground on the battery box. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/2581fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/1247fp.htm

rmichalski
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rmichalski » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Rudi,
Thanks for the reply. Bingo on the diagram for the wiring harness. I will study and confirm routings. The tank comes off next to check those connections. The seat, battery box and floor pan are well rusted to the frame. The only remaining piece of the tool box was the tab with the mounting bolt hole. This is a lump of rust now. Painted by a rust lump.
I'll take my time and record what I find. Then rebuild once. I hope to learn the best method from you guys based on experience. Got to love it.
Dick Michalski

rmichalski
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rmichalski » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Sorry Glen, getting used to who the responder is.
Dick Michalski

Return to “Farmall Cub”