This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Member - Eastern North Carolina

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
proctordesigns
Zip Code: 27829
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Super A
1971 International Farmall 140
1944 John Deere LA

New Member - Eastern North Carolina

Postby proctordesigns » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Hello, Thanks for allowing me to join your forum.

I have a 1950 Farmall Super A, 1972 International / Farmall 140, and a (not a Farmall) 1944 John Deere LA.

I acquired the 1972 IH 140 a few days ago. It was my wife's grandfathers (passed away several years ago) and her grandmother gave it to us. It does not run, has been shelter kept, has not been run in a long time (20 years give or take). Before that it was used in the grandparents commercial farming operations. My wifes grandfather "messed" with it when he retired from farming about 10 years ago, moved back in the barn, but noone recalls seeing it run, then it got moved back out to shelter. Wifes Grandparents agreed to give me the front cultivators arms several years ago for my super A, but were not ready to part with the tractor. It is complete, looks pretty decent, tires are good. Has fast hitch. I am hoping to find some guidance in getting this old girl back up and running. It has the optional 4th gear ratio according to the serial number "JKK". When I get it running I am going to put the front cultivators back on it and it will be complete.

I also have a 1950 Farmall Super A. Not restored, my "working" tractor. Has a few issues like the water pump leaks if you shut it down before it gets warm and the rear end leaks pretty bad. But runs like a top. The cultivators (arms and all) were stolen while under a shelter, so the cultivators from the 140 are on this now. It has a 3 point hitch on the rear. A few years ago it gave me a brain twister as it would not start sometimes, would start and cut right back off, would be running good and just die. I cleaned carb and a handful of other things......ended up being the push-pull switch was bad. It was hard to pin point because it was intermittent. You could lightly touch the switch (not even push it in) and it would die. Have never had any other issues.

Not a Farmall, but I also have a 1944 John Deere LA 2 cylinder with full set of cultivators. Hard to start but runs good once started. I do not "regularly" use this tractor for work, more so just to drive my son around on about every other month or two. The previous owners said that there father owned/operated a John Deere dealership in eastern NC in the 80's and 90's and that this was "restored" and used as a display. The restoration was not a "great/professional" restoration. However, this is still the best looking tractor that I own as it is shiny, clean, etc. Unfortunately, after the dealership closed it went under a tarp for several years, which is never a good thing. When I got it there was water in the rear-end , gas tank rusted pretty bad. I am sure that the gas tank is part of the problem for the hard starting. I gave this to my son for his first birthday, this is "his tractor".

I have also been lucky enough to own and play with a 1955 Oliver Row crop 66 (horrible cosmetic condition, but ran and worked), Ford 2N (ran but needed engine rebuilt as it smoked like a steam train) and a restored Allis Chalmers B (my 6 year old daughter wanted this tractor). But wife said I had to many and I parted ways with them.

My super A is the best working tractor I have owned. The farmall parts are still easy enough to acquire and there are still plenty of tractor around.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Member - Eastern North Carolina

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 pm

Welcome, from another NC-er!! You are about equidistant from me (in Chapel Hill) and another forum member, Al (forum name Super A, near Jacksonville). Along with 3 cubs, I have a restored, but working, '48 Super A. And Al (you might have guessed from his forum name!) has at least 1 Super A and, I believe, a 140.

The IHCC Chapter 37 is putting on a cubfest (Cubolina Cubfest) next week (July 19-20), and I plan to take my SA. Though it is mostly cub folks, they tolerate bigger guys, too!! :lol: You should try to attend, as there will be several folks from your area. Hope to meet you there!

Someone else will come along with a proper welcome, but HOWDY from here! :{_}:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:18 am

Welcome to the forum.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:04 am

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Introduce Yourself”