This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Danco C-2 Mower

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
YonsterMonster
Zip Code: 06798

Danco C-2 Mower

Postby YonsterMonster » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:19 pm

Why the Danco/Case IH mower has the same name as the woods rotary mower is besides me. Also, one member here posted picture of his dissembled mower clutch; Thank you. I had to remove my stuck pins by tapping the pulley with a rubber mallet. Eventually they came out, the springs were completely shot. I will post pics of the disassembly; mine in different from some of the ones here.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Danco C-2 Mower

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 pm

You were lucky on getting the pins out. I had to drill a hole on the opposite side and tap them out with a punch. What do mean by the two mowers having the same name?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

YonsterMonster
Zip Code: 06798

Postby YonsterMonster » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:05 am

Bob, just seeing this. Both Mowers are C-2; when you do a search you get different units.
I found that hitting the pulley with a rubber mallet on both sides caused the pins to very slightly move. eventually I could grip the little devils and pluck them out. The springs I bought were slightly long, I cut them down.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:52 am

YonsterMonster wrote:Bob, just seeing this. Both Mowers are C-2; when you do a search you get different units.
I found that hitting the pulley with a rubber mallet on both sides caused the pins to very slightly move. eventually I could grip the little devils and pluck them out. The springs I bought were slightly long, I cut them down.

The Woods mowers (assume you are talking about the 42" mower) generally use the naming convention 42C-x, with x being a version or revision number. The 42 is inches cut, and the C meant Cub as opposed to the same mower but with mounting for another tractor, such as an Allis Chalmers B. My Woods mowers are mostly 42C-4's, so a later version than a version 2.

On the springs, I will again assume that the originals had what is known as "squared and ground" ends, which means the last few coils change pitch to as close to zero as they can, and the very end is "squared" by grinding. If you simply cut a longer spring shorter and leave the coil resting on just the cut end, it will create a torque or bending moment when compressed, and will likely fatigue and break over time. You'd be better off to find the proper length in a squared and ground configuration; and the spring rate needs to be close also, to insure the clutch acts as intended.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”