This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

172/174 Duplex Planter Setup

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dwpoole12
Zip Code: 30115

172/174 Duplex Planter Setup

Postby Dwpoole12 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:03 pm

I have a 140 that we are trying to hook up a IH duplex planter. We are having issues getting the right combination of down pressure on the wheel to fill in after the seed, while not burying the seed too deep. Anyone have images/advice for setting up a duplex planter?

workinonit
Zip Code: 29591

Re: 172/174 Duplex Planter Setup

Postby workinonit » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 am

Is this a belly planter or fast hitch? If it's a fast hitch, some of the 140s came with a draft link that was attached to the front TC controls. I have one like that. My other two have a fixed link instead of the lift operated one but the links have adjustment holes in them so you can shorten it and it will tilt the fast hitch back and put more pressure on your tail wheel. That linkage connects to the front of the lift frame and the other end connects under the floor board.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:23 am

I think this is a belly mounted runner type planter. The planting depth is controlled by the height of the press wheel relative to the runner. It is adjusted by turning a long screw near the front of the runner. The press wheel should follow the ground and regulate height of the whole unit. Depending on soil condition, you may need to apply some down pressure. You increase that by running the Touch-Control arms back to a lower position and possibly changing the adjustment of the lift link for the universal mounting frames (the things with the coil spring up beside the engine).

I don't think we have the operators manual for that machine on this site. But there should be one for the Cub-172 or Cub-174 in the PDF manuals. The general information should be the same. A look at it should be helpful.

workinonit
Zip Code: 29591

Postby workinonit » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 am

Sorry for my misinformation. I was afraid it was a belly planter.