This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Winter Operation

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TraumaOne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A

Winter Operation

Postby TraumaOne » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am

I live in Michigan, it gets very cold up here in the Winter. When I bought my Super A the guy I bought it from gave me a type of heavy vinyl sash to hang on the sides of hood when I'm out working in the cold. He explained to me that the Carb will "freeze up" if I don't use the sash to retain some of the engine heat.

Thoughts on this? I have seen a few pictures of others doing it so I'm curious how common this is?

Thanks,

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Re: Winter Operation

Postby EZ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Running 2 Cubs and a 130 for many years way north of your location. Never had to do anything like that. Sometimes pushing snow for many hours. No problems freezing up ever.
Just Do It !

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:30 pm

EZ wrote:Running 2 Cubs and a 130 for many years way north of your location. Never had to do anything like that. Sometimes pushing snow for many hours. No problems freezing up ever.

I'm also in Michigan. When it is super cold I do remove the grille, install a piece of cardboard that covers about half the radiator, and reinstall the grille. The only thing I worry about freezing up in the operator.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 pm

When it's cold and there is moisture in the air, snow or just moisture, ice will accumulate on the carburetor. Usually doesn't hurt anything.

Central Iowa, we used what we called heat housers on the tractors to provide some engine warmth for the operator.

And an edit: We also covered part of the radiator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

TraumaOne
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '51 Super A

Postby TraumaOne » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Eugene wrote:When it's cold and there is moisture in the air, snow or just moisture, ice will accumulate on the carburetor. Usually doesn't hurt anything.

Central Iowa, we used what we called heat housers on the tractors to provide some engine warmth for the operator.

And an edit: We also covered part of the radiator.

Yea, I could see that. His explanation seemed really strange to me, maybe it's possible he was using old fuel? I'll probably roll the dice this winter and just see how it goes without it.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm guessing that his water separator (fuel bowl) was full of water and not functioning.
The fuel and water must be able to separate. (The water gets a bit hard in the cold weather) The air source comes from the air cleaner, so it shouldn't be sucking any snow into the carb. I have seen frost grow on the outside of the carburetor while pushing snow, but that isn't inside the carb so I don't know what that would hurt.
Mostly, the side curtains help the engine warm up to operating temperature. Its not a bad idea to use them, but I don't think it is a necessity.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”