This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 Clutch Linkage Adjustment

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 140 Clutch Linkage Adjustment

Postby Slim140 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:51 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:I believe that is installed.
Ok. That would make sense. Would the measurement taken off the tractor (not installed) be sufficient if I could get a consensus with other ones I've measured? Or are there factors that would make it vary? Shane, curious as to what your pressure plate measures off the tractor?

I want to mention that I also removed the TO bearing carrier/hanger and found that the bearing wasn't pressed on all of the way. It ended up going about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch farther onto the carrier assembly until it bottomed out. I want to think that is/was the whole problem, but I also don't want to bolt it all back up and find that there is more to the problem.

Laying on the workbench it’s 3”
Attachments
5EA0DE5B-9357-439F-9E08-82433869D08F.jpeg
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:01 am

Shane N. wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:I believe that is installed.
Ok. That would make sense. Would the measurement taken off the tractor (not installed) be sufficient if I could get a consensus with other ones I've measured? Or are there factors that would make it vary? Shane, curious as to what your pressure plate measures off the tractor?

I want to mention that I also removed the TO bearing carrier/hanger and found that the bearing wasn't pressed on all of the way. It ended up going about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch farther onto the carrier assembly until it bottomed out. I want to think that is/was the whole problem, but I also don't want to bolt it all back up and find that there is more to the problem.

Laying on the workbench it’s 3”

Ok. This varying measuring leads me to believe it isn’t a reliable way of checking the adjustment of fingers. Is it possible that the spring tension (new vs. worn) would have something to do with it; therefore the reason it is said to always check the measurement installed onto the flywheel with clutch disk so the adjusting set screws are in there proper position ? If I were to adjust the fingers from 2 3/4 inch to 3 inches it would put it in a worse setting than it currently is in (farther back towards the transmission).
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:55 am

I don't think trying to set to another measurement with the pressure plate not installed will work out due to variations in other parts of the pressure plate. I do agree that the incompletely installed throwout bearing is likely to have been the whole problem.

I take it that the shape of the clutch disk is keeping you from getting a good measurement to the face of the pressure plate. You could pick some spot on the clutch disk to measure to (maybe the face of the hub). Then use a straight edge on the clutch plate to get a measurement of the difference between your chosen spot and the surface of the friction material. Do a little arithmetic with the measured difference to get the finger height from the disk.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:00 am

I agree 100% with what Jim said.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm

That is a good idea. Yeah I made a quick and dirty tool to measure it but there simply isn't enough room with the clutch disk in there to measure it properly . I will try what you said just to make sure the adjustment is acceptable. I'll write it down too so in the future I can measure from MY chosen spot.

I'm also going to adjust the clutch pedal rod to approximately where it should be before putting the 2 halves of the tractor back together. Once together I'll make a final adjustment according to the manual with the 3/16" gap from face of TO bearing to pressure plate fingers.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor: