This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall 140 Electronic Ignition Conversion

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
diamondjfarmwv
Zip Code: 25124
Tractors Owned: 1968 Farmall 140
1949 Ford 8N

Farmall 140 Electronic Ignition Conversion

Postby diamondjfarmwv » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am

Folks. I recently installed an electronic ignition system on my 12-volt 1968 Farmall 140. I followed manufacturer's instructions to a "T" and I reviewed a few YouTube videos before I began the install. I also put in a new, high-voltage coil, a new voltage reg, and new ignition key switch and push-button starter. Tractor ran okay before, but points have been bad to blister once or twice a year. I have fire to everything--even to all four spark plugs. One of the YouTube videos said that the timing might need to be adjusted once the electronic ignition is installed. First, any of you had this problem and fixed it by adjusting timing? Second, did you move forward or back and in what increments? Thanks, in advance, for any help you all could provide to me.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall 140 Electronic Ignition Conversion

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:10 am

Timing should always be checked when a Pertronix is installed. It's not unusual for the timing to vary a few degrees one way or the other. If you removed the dist. for the install (I always do) static timing, upon install, is a must, then finish the job with a timing light. Are you sure your plug wire are in the correct order in the dist. cap? We've all goofed that up at some point.