This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1949 Farmall Super A - Grinding putting into gear

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dbrigante1010
Zip Code: 05446

1949 Farmall Super A - Grinding putting into gear

Postby Dbrigante1010 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:34 pm

Any advice - my super a seems to take a long time - at least 20 seconds for the gear to stop rotating so i can put it into gear without grinding. Is this a sign of clutch problems or needing to split the tractor? I adjusted the clutch bar some and don't see much finger adjustment on the a as some of the videos show on the cubs.

Dbrigante1010
Zip Code: 05446

Re: 1949 Farmall Super A - Grinding putting into gear

Postby Dbrigante1010 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 am

Update: it would appear that the clutch never stops spinning after i had the clutch ratchet strapped down so i could have a better look. it must slow down just enough to be able and pop it into gear with some grinding. would this point fingers at the clutch pad being seized to the flywheel?
Adding a few photos.
Attachments
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:41 pm

Not seized or you would never be able to get it in gear. There is probably some minor dragging that is keeping the shaft from completely stopping. Some possibilities:
1) Pilot bearing dragging. It could be dry (even though it is an oilite bushing). Or it could be worn/deteriorated to cause it to not turn freely.
2) The clutch disk could be warped or have a bit of loose lining that stays in contact with the flywheel or pressure plate.
3) The clutch disk may not be moving as needed on the splines of the shaft to completely loose contact with the flywheel. This could be because of rust or wear on the shaft.

There isn't much you can do about these without a split. All I can suggest is to try to get some lubricant to the splines and the pilot bearing. Park the tractor so it is pointing down hill. Use a spray lube with an extension tube. Aim it as best you can as far forward on the shaft as you can get it. Hope that it runs forward on the shaft to reach the splines and (maybe, with luck) the pilot bearing.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:39 pm

What is the history on this tractor? How long have you owned it? Has the tractor set for a long time?

Jim has listed about all of the conditions that would lean to the clutch disk turning when you depress the clutch.

I assume you have tried this, tractor in gear, engine running, depress the clutch pedal, hold the pedal down. This may remove rust on the pressure plate, fly wheel, and disk debris.

Edit. Adjustment for the throw out bearing?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 am

Is that photo taken with the pedal strapped down? The TOB isn't even touching the fingers I can see. Have you adjusted them correctly? The adjustment screws have bolt heads: one with more adjustment room, the other looks like it is all the way in. Don't know if the SA had bolts with heads??
Maybe the disc is worn too far?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety