This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Zenith Carb question

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37097
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A, serial #FAA 79827

A Zenith Carb question

Postby Capnball » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 am

I soda-blasted my 9752 Zenith carb on saturday, and that turned out really well. Got it good and clean in prep for paint.
I've gone through the carburetor and cleaned it up good. I bought a rebuild kit for it, and turned out that none of the parts fit, except for the gasket, which I used. Now I've got most of a carb kit I can't use... no big deal, I think all the internals are fine, except for the float, which is on the way. The only thing that's got me stumped are the seals around the butterfly rods. All four fiber seals are gone. I ruined the one replacement that came with the carb kit trying to get it in. Questions:

a) Do I need to worry about the seals? I assume the answer is yes, as their absence lets in small amounts of extra air.

b) Where do I get them? Whose are good quality?

c) How do you get the seals in? Do you need to take the little pressed-in aluminum(?) dealies out? How?
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Micah 6:8

Our blog: http://www.home-at-winshaw.com/

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A Zenith Carb question

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 pm

You should only need to replace the two that have holes in them. You can gently pry the retainer out with a screwdriver. If the retainer is distorted, you can take a bolt or piece of rod that fits the ID of the retainer and tap it flat again. I'd suggest trying McDonald Carbs for the retainers and felt seals.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Capnball
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37097
Tractors Owned: 1941 Farmall A, serial #FAA 79827

Re: A Zenith Carb question

Postby Capnball » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:13 pm

A little belated, but thanks for the advice. I followed it. I carefully pried the retainers out and reshaped them, and replaced the seals with new ones from McDonalds Carbs. was very pleased with his service.
Jordan Goodwin
1941 Farmall A

Micah 6:8

Our blog: http://www.home-at-winshaw.com/