This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

crankshaft pulley problem

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

crankshaft pulley problem

Postby SONNY » Sun May 10, 2015 8:52 am

Was mowing yesterday with the A and the crankshaft pulley came loose and went into the fan blades!--- what holds the pulley tight?---cant find exploaded view on the internet---messicks site only lists new-Holland tractors and the new stuff.---I used to find the old tractors on there but couldn't just now!
Don't know what damage the pulley did, as its raining hard here again and I cant get down there to look at it! (hope no-one stole it last night,--I did drag it just off the road but couldn't get very far with cub pulling on it,---should have taken the 917-H but cub was closer).
I hate the idea of taking the front end off to get in there to fix it!
I have the SA,-- BUT it don't have a working governor and crank oil seal is leaking bad, so cant slap an old mower on it! any ideas? thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: crankshaft pulley problem

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 10, 2015 9:02 am

It is a press fit just like the cub. Make sure you did not loose the Woodruff key, and you can put a boot and washer in the end to hold it on, but that will prevent using a hand crank.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun May 10, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks John!---I cant hand crank a tractor anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem for me! lol!---I just need the pulley to stay on! thanks; sonny

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 10, 2015 11:49 am

Most A pulleys just pressed on but early ones had a setscrew on the side. You need to look closely to see which you have.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 am

I had allen head set screw in mine and NO drilled/threads in crank to use bolt in.

This is not a good pic., but it is the back side of my pulley.--there is also a tin ring stuck over the outside where the oil seal rides. (VERY BAD!)---the pulley is loose on the crank and the only thing holding it on is the little set screw on top of the half moon key.----I didn't think at the time but after cleaning it and getting all the oil off I should have put J B weld in there too and let it set for a week to harden.--the pulley is just too loose on the crank to suit me!---it runs straight and don't wobble that I can see.---what happens the next time it gets loose and goes into the fan again?---How long can that little screw hold the beastly thin tight? I got it as tight as I could without breaking the allen wrench and cant do much else with it! thanks; sonny

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Maybe use some Loctite on the set screw?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon May 11, 2015 10:57 pm

Also what about locktite on the crank, then slap the pulley back on?---I have all the stuff back together at this time,--- NOW I am afraid to use it! LOL!
Now the mag kicks back on the starter and I was trying to retard the mag.--- it don't click when it turns past fire point either ---don't know if that had anything to do with the pulley coming off or not, but its hard on the bendix, (and my nerves!)---rain all day/high wind, so I couldn't work on it. thanks; sonny