This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

sputtering under load

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SDiver40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28025
Tractors Owned: Mahindra 3016, 1951 Farmall Super A

sputtering under load

Postby SDiver40 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:36 pm

This may have been covered before but I cant find it if it has. I have searched the internet, youtube and here on this site and cant find a fix.
My SA cranks up and runs smooth as can be. If I push the throttle past 3/4 in a quick motion, it starts sputtering. It sounds like it is flooding but will clear up after 10-15 seconds. It does the same thing if I let the clutch out a bit too quick or try to sink the cultivators in the ground.
It has the factory carter carb on it. I have cleaned it out and adjusted the float. It has a good flow of gas up to the carb. Once I get past the sputtering part ( IF it dont cut off ) it seems to do better. It will sit there and idle all day and never miss a beat.
I have read where people refer to the governor as hunting ( surging up and down ) but this doesnt sound like surging to me. It's more like flooding but I cant smell gas or see black smoke.
Does anyone have any ideas where I need to start looking or try next?
Thanks Tom

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: sputtering under load

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Your governor spring may be worn. Essentially the governor isn't properly adjusting to the load in time. We have a Cub that does this, it doesn't open up of the throttle enough or fast enough in relation to the load on the engine.
If you take the cover off of the governor you will see this:

The big spring you see is the one I am talking about. The little one coming up through the bottom is the bumper screw spring. Check both for wear, lack of tension, ect.

Since you tackled a possible fuel problem and you don't see any signs of a typical flood (smoking) then I can say for certain you are looking at a governor related issue.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Clean your carb again and check your adjustments.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SDiver40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28025
Tractors Owned: Mahindra 3016, 1951 Farmall Super A

Postby SDiver40 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Hello Havoc and Super A
I wanted to thank you for the good advise on my problem.
Your suggestion on checking the governor spring got me to thinking and searching some different areas.
I found an article on the internet with the directions on adjusting the carb linkage. I figured I would try that before pulling the governor apart. That's the one thing I haven't tried. I pulled it apart this evening and it was out of adjustment about 3 turns. I turned it in a few rounds and put it back together. At first it ran wide open. I thought I had made it worse. Figured why not adjust the idle screw and rule that out. It settled down and ran like a champ. Sunk the cultivators in the ground and sure enough, the governor took over and kept right on going.
I still think I may need to replace the spring. The carb linkage has no more adjustment left. But for now i'm tickled to know it will run like it should.
Thanks again for the advise and help.
Tom

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Glad to hear its working out. Just so you know, you do not have to disassemble the entire governor to get to that spring. Its a little tricky to get to, but you can remove the governor cover and replace the spring without taking the front end apart. If you do, just be careful to not lose the thrust bearing and make sure it doesn't separate. Mine did and it fell to pieces all over my garage floor haha. Had to replace it, it was probably needed, but nonetheless be careful.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)