IH mule info

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:18 pm

I just found an ad for an IH mule that is for sale locally. There is an old post on the "military style mules". Can anyone direct me to pictures of the shop mules, or tugs, or whatever else falls into this category? YTMAG wasn't any help.

Thanks, Bob

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Here is a start:
The A-14 and A-21 look about like this. They were the only models that use tractor sheet metal The A-21V look like an airport tug.

Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks Jim, I guess I'll have to go look at it even if it's just to satisfy my curiosity.

Bob

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Bob

My brother bought one off of ebay sunday and I drove to pittsburg PA yesterday and picked it up. Its a lot of fun to drive. I know it needs a tune up and should have more power after that. But righ now it seems underpowered. It is supposed to have 17 hp.

I think that one you are looking at is not a mule. It is a prototype for the mule that did not work out. And none of the parts will fit a standard mule.

Billy

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:51 am

As far as I know IH never had anything to do with the M274 military mules. Not even the prototypes...

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:03 am

This thread is mixing discussion of 2 different sorts of "mules". The "Shop Mule" was a tractor based industrial tug. Many of them were used by the military. The M274 is more like a motorized freight cart, designed and built strictly for the military.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:15 pm

:oops: Sorry I did not read closly enough.

Billy

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:57 pm

a Huber IH shop mule is on my 'wanted' list.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 pm

we had an ih shop mule at work , it had an A engine and trans, hard rubber tires and plate steel body... very heavy.

John