This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Interesting possible backfire issue

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Interesting possible backfire issue

Postby pokitisme » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:32 pm

Got myself a new 49 Farmall h. Had to change the fan belt on it which started all my problems. I redid the timing on it. And got it started again. Here's the interesting problem I'm having I'm getting a backfire issue. But it's not coming out of the exhaust. It's coming from the air filter. I can put my hand on the air filter and feel it jumping. I can put my hand under the air filter at the very top and feel air surging out with every pop. Now I've heard that it could be a possible manifold issue as I do have a little hole in the manifold just under where the muffler would go. But it did not have this issue before. So curious what you guys think of a possible backfire in the air filter.

https://youtu.be/wyILFTGJS38

Figured I'd upload a video of what I'm talking about
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Interesting possible backfire issue

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:28 am

Did you have the plug wires off? You might have a couple mixed up. The other thing that can cause intake backfire is an intake valve not fully closing or not sealing.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:28 am

I suspect the timing is still off, and/or it's not firing on all cylinders. Check your timing and the wiring connections to be sure your firing order is correct.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 am

Think you have two plug wires on wrong spark plugs.

Close up of distributor cap and plug wire termination would help.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:45 pm

Eugene wrote:Think you have two plug wires on wrong spark plugs.

Close up of distributor cap and plug wire termination would help.

If I remember correctly I do have the spark plug wires not in the normal configuration but that was due to the timing showing the number one plug in a different position. It could very much be a timing issue but I cannot adjust the distributor any further away from the engine then what it is. If I move it closer to the engine it will kill it. It is very possible that this distributor is off of a Farmall m the guy I bought it from sent me a bunch of M parts.. but the distributor and housing look the exact same as others on other h,s that I have.. could the distributor off of an m cause an issue
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:11 pm

pokitisme wrote:If I remember correctly I do have the spark plug wires not in the normal configuration but that was due to the timing showing the number one plug in a different position. It could very much be a timing issue but I cannot adjust the distributor any further away from the engine then what it is. If I move it closer to the engine it will kill it.
You need to time the distributor to the engine then adjust the timing. Your distributor is off a tooth or two.

It is very possible that this distributor is off of a Farmall m the guy. Could the distributor off of an m cause an issue
Probably not.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:14 pm

https://youtu.be/9n0G_UyMVt0

Here's a video showing the distributor and a lot more of the bits and pieces more accurately.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:24 pm

Only watched just over 4 minutes of the video. You are off a tooth or two. You need to remove the distributor and retime it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:18 pm

Eugene wrote:Only watched just over 4 minutes of the video. You are off a tooth or two. You need to remove the distributor and retime it.

Now I suspect you're about to give me some very good knowledge on this which is quite helpful. Because lots of people I think come into this issue if I am correct what you are trying to say is take the distributor off and it just the distributor gears one or two teeth so that it lines up properly. Is that what you're trying to say

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 pm

pokitisme wrote:I suspect you're about to give me some very good knowledge on this which is quite helpful.
Nope. This is another task that is easier to do or demonstrate than to explain.

Search the internet Youtube for how to install a distributor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:13 pm

The hole in the manifold would not do the backfire....Mine had a hole in it....Lost a bit more power every year....as the hole got bigger....New manifold and the power is back....never backfired on me and started right up.....
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:40 pm

Thank you much about the distributor and manifold ideas

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:33 am

Might not be relevant or too basic, but are you sure you got TDC and not the other stroke...meaning you think you are on compression but you are on exhaust?

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:21 am

Well the damn tractor runs LOL you could be right I don't know the basics of how the damn thing actually operates lol. I had a timing issue before I got it as close as I could to get the damn thing started I guessed on top dead center.

As an added note since I was having some possible sticking valve issues on my Ford 9N. If you guys ever go on temu. You can get a nice little phone operated borescope for like five bucks. Look at some reviews on YouTube for such things but I'm telling you I just got mine today and the damn thing is pretty good for five bucks