This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Farmall h. What are these switches and knobs

Farmall H, HV & Super H, 300 & 350, 1939-1958
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 64132
Skype Name: Pokitisme
Tractors Owned: 1948 international Harvester Farmall h

Re: 1948 Farmall h. What are these switches and knobs

Postby pokitisme » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah it is a good place Craigslist LOL I've checked tractor data I've checked all of the common tractor sites that's why I know a Ford 8in has something like 40 horsepower I think I don't know I don't get too familiar with the things that I'm not looking at. Or I don't own to be more specific. It is an average price for that 8in and a brush hog but I don't know the condition of any of them the guy says he has it at his house or something and I think he's been using it but this guy is a little weird I mean he's got a bunch of items up on Craigslist. And he does charge we are prices that's why I was so shocked by the Farmall price Farmall H is a pretty common tractor usually going for about a thousand bucks apparently mine has a two-way hydraulic system on it meaning up and down pressure. Which if I am correct that is pretty damn cool. It does have various starting issues but I'm working those out mostly to do with wiring and wiring connections. But in between my 52 to 70-hour work weeks it's a little hard to fit in tractor time LOL other than going out and starting it every day which I like to do. But yes I have done a massive amount of research I even found a site to download all of the manuals which I have not read yet. As per everybody's suggestion to me to go get the manuals. I will probably post them to Usenet here by tonight. In case others want them as well probably in alt binaries e books or something. Even though the Farmall H is at a miniscule 20 something horsepower it does have enough kick to really pull stuff around and I love the center to wheel front to it. It makes turns on a dime easy. I mean I was just pulling the trailer around the other day that I brought the thing home on and that thing was dragging on the ground as I was pulling it and it still had enough power and didn't even care LOL anyway like I said I don't think you guys realize how much help you are to people even if they don't respond I'm sure that it's a lot of help you are all very knowledgeable with the tractor fetish LOL. And I hate to post more questions but I'm sure I will hear at some point one thing I am interested in about is if there is a brake lock on the Farmall h I'm not talking about locking left and right brake together I'm talking like as in an emergency brake type deal. I was watching one of the Steiner tractor parts videos about changing brakes and they mentioned locking the brakes but they don't specify how. Yes I will read the manual at some convenient time but this is just a fast way to get knowledge I have checked over the brakes I don't see any mechanism to lock them in place fully depressed
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 pm

pokitisme wrote:I've checked tractor data I've checked all of the common tractor sites that's why I know a Ford 8in has something like 40 horsepower.
Not sure where the 40 HP for an 8N came from. Please provide the reference for a stock 8N and not the Ford flathead V8 conversion.

You need to read through the Nebraska tests on the various tractors. Check to see how each tractor was weighted for the tests.

The advertised HP is frequently from either the belt pulley or the PTO. Most tractor work is done with the drawbar. Next consideration is the weight of the tractor compared to the towed weight/load.

From Tractordata.com.

H = 24.17 drawbar HP.
8N = 21.9 drawbar HP.

H = 3703 max drawbar pull, Nebraska test.
8N = 2810 max drawbar pull, Nebraska test.

H = 3875 lbs. base weight.
8N = 2410 lbs. base weight.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am

Yeah seems I was mistaken on that. I was going off of something and I'm not sure where I got it from I would have checked tractor data eventually but I've been busy the last couple days and all LOL.
Favorite quotes by me. If you want to you can but if you don't you wont... most possibly yes but maybe no.... and as always buy guns keep America free

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Jim Becker wrote:At this point, it appears to me that you need to get a copy of the Owner's Manual and read it. In fact, do it before you go near your tractor again.
Suggest spending a couple of hours, tonight, reading the Operator's/Owners Manual. Also, this site has a safety tractor test. Study up on tractor safety. You or someone else could be seriously injured or killed. Happens to experienced tractor owners on a to frequent basis.
pokitisme wrote:the tractor fetish LOL.
Not sure I would call my appreciation for old farm tractors a fetish. I and family members were farmers, some are still farmers. Operated, owned, been around farm tractors my entire life. Farm tractors and associated machinery are and were simply tools to earn a living.

Reason I still own and operate "antique" farm tractors and machinery is that they still do the job I want them to do.
pokitisme wrote:I am interested in about is if there is a brake lock on the Farmall h. I'm talking like as in an emergency brake type deal. I have checked over the brakes I don't see any mechanism to lock them in place fully depressed
It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. There is a latch lever on the operators platform just to the rear, towards the operator's seat, to lock down the brakes. Operator's manual or internet search.

Back to the 40 HP 8N Ford vs. the H Farmall. As stated earlier, I have been operating farm tractors for over 60 years. Owned Farmall Hs and operated many N series Fords as well as other makes and model farm tractors over the years.

Study up on farm tractors. I posted auction results a week or so back. If you were looking for a tractor with 3-point, the Minneapolis Moline Z, for $700- in good condition, would have been the bargain.

Told myself to stop posting so frequently. This post will be the last for at least 10 or 15 minutes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 pm

pokitisme wrote:Yes I will read the manual at some convenient time but this is just a fast way to get knowledge

I've found most of the regulars on this forum to be very knowledgeable and helpful, but their patience and courtesy may wear thin when a multitude of questions are asked that could be easily answered by reading the manual. Please read the manual.

http://www.binderbooks.com/letter.htm#Farmall_H
Jim

Circle of Safety

pokitisme
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pokitisme » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 am

Yes I know I started reading the manual the other night. It is descriptive and has helped me learn a few things but because of the pictures being black and white it is often hard to discern the exact specifics of said picture. And yes I know how annoying it is to deal with somebody who keeps asking questions but does not read the book The only thing I will point out to that is it's a form it's designed for asking questions. Yes there is a point where you get sick and tired of answering but in a case like me I enjoy giving out my knowledge and it makes me happy to help others. I understand there are the intricacies and Delicacies of dealing with a person who refuses to learn but I am not refusing to learn I just work too damn much and don't always have the time and sometimes it's easier to talk with a person of knowledgeable experience. Case in point I could build myself my own AK-47. But due to the various little issues such as pounding out the barrel using Creek pinning techniques for the trunnions and a multitude of other issues talking with a person with experience in hand building an AK-47 is much better than watching a video or reading a book as I have a great deal of videos on AK-47 construction and the like. My point there Bean talking to the horse is usually better than trying to read up on some information. In this case dealing with tractors talking with an actual person who has had tractor experience and reading the book is a combination feature that works out pretty well. The other fellow spoke of the brake lock on the Farmall well I did find that after reading the book. But as I said the pictures are grainy and black and white and to have a person actually point out and specify what the function is helps out. Anyway I have told myself to that I will stop asking a bunch of questions here because I understand how redundant and how annoying it can get. Again thank you guys for all of your help

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:08 am

pokitisme wrote:Yes I know I started reading the manual the other night. It is descriptive and has helped me learn a few things but because of the pictures being black and white it is often hard to discern the exact specifics of said picture. And yes I know how annoying it is to deal with somebody who keeps asking questions but does not read the book The only thing I will point out to that is it's a form it's designed for asking questions. Yes there is a point where you get sick and tired of answering but in a case like me I enjoy giving out my knowledge and it makes me happy to help others. I understand there are the intricacies and Delicacies of dealing with a person who refuses to learn but I am not refusing to learn I just work too damn much and don't always have the time and sometimes it's easier to talk with a person of knowledgeable experience. Case in point I could build myself my own AK-47. But due to the various little issues such as pounding out the barrel using Creek pinning techniques for the trunnions and a multitude of other issues talking with a person with experience in hand building an AK-47 is much better than watching a video or reading a book as I have a great deal of videos on AK-47 construction and the like. My point there Bean talking to the horse is usually better than trying to read up on some information. In this case dealing with tractors talking with an actual person who has had tractor experience and reading the book is a combination feature that works out pretty well. The other fellow spoke of the brake lock on the Farmall well I did find that after reading the book. But as I said the pictures are grainy and black and white and to have a person actually point out and specify what the function is helps out. Anyway I have told myself to that I will stop asking a bunch of questions here because I understand how redundant and how annoying it can get. Again thank you guys for all of your help

No worries, questions are always welcome here.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall H, HV, Super H, 300 & 350”