This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New M Operator Stuff

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

New M Operator Stuff

Postby Plywud » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm

Out playing with the new M this morning, got her off the trailer and the wheel turned back around so the weights are back on the outside. The clutch throw seems kinda short to me, and I have a problem with wheel hop when I first let out the clutch. Like I'm popping a wheely. Seems to be a little less aggressive when I ride the brakes when i first release. Do I have a problem here or just operator inexperience. Don't remember this problem on the farm days back in the 60"s.

Also, I need to shorten the distance between the rear tires to get her on the trailer, 82 inch. We rotated the entire hub and wheel this time, on the cub I can make those adjustments be just changing the wheel rim around. Alot less to work with. Does that work the same on the M? I measured the wheel rim distance and it looks like that set up is different on the M than on the cub.

Thanks for you help

RJ

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New M Operator Stuff

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:24 pm

If my memory serves me well, you should be able to slide the wheel hub on the axle by unclamping it, move it, then re-clamp it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

Postby Plywud » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:00 pm

I can, except that is a two man job just based on the weight of the wheel hub, tire rim and tire combination. If I can remove the outer tire and rim only, much less weight and a one man job. But it dosen't look like the wheel rim is offset so changing direction would make a difference in overall width. The reason I'm questing this, is a post I remember where someone said the rim reversal would make a difference.

ClassicTractorProfessor
Zip Code: 73843
Tractors Owned: 1940 Farmall M w/Loader
1946 Farmall H
1949 Farmall C
1951 Farmall M
1942 Case SC
1953 Case DC3
1947 Ford 2N w/Late 8N Engine

1961 Wheel Horse Custom 2 Seater
1963 Wheel Horse 753
1967 Wheel Horse 1067
1967 Wheel Horse 1277
1970 Wheel Horse Commando V8
1979 Wheel Horse C81
1979 Wheel Horse C141
1981 Wheel Horse C125

Postby ClassicTractorProfessor » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:47 pm

Turning just the rim and tire around will not make any difference in width on an M. If I'm understanding correctly you have your hubs the same way I have mine on the 51. Depending on tire size you may or may not be able to slide the hubs in enough to fit on your trailer. The 48 I had was fitted with 12.4-38s and with the hubs slid all the way in on the axle it just barely squeezed in between the fenders of our car hauler to get it home. I'm running 14.9-38s on the 51 and it will not fit on the trailer, anytime I have to take it farther than I can reasonably road it I have to bring the rollback home from work to move it.
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:37 am

Plywud wrote:I can, except that is a two man job just based on the weight of the wheel hub, tire rim and tire combination. If I can remove the outer tire and rim only, much less weight and a one man job. But it dosen't look like the wheel rim is offset so changing direction would make a difference in overall width. The reason I'm questing this, is a post I remember where someone said the rim reversal would make a difference.

With a tape measure, you should be able to estimate pretty close what the overall width will be with the rims turned out--without going through all the effort. Big disappointment to go through all that work just to find it still too wide to fit.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”