This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new to me Cub Cadet 127 needs help

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

new to me Cub Cadet 127 needs help

Postby 790rivers » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi All,
I just picked up my first Cub Cadet, a bare bones 127, no mower deck or other implements, no battery, flat rear tire and mouse-eaten wiring. Fun! I'ld like to be able to see if it runs at all before pouring money into a new wiring harness and such. The engine turns over and seems to have at least a little compression. The coil is original. I have parts and supplies from my Farmall Cubs, but nothing for the Cadet. I'm just starting by cleaning the carburetor and gas lines. Any tips much appreciated.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new to me Cub Cadet 127 needs help

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:24 pm

First check for spark.

Then compression tests. Engine should have a compression release so don't expect much at engine cranking speed. 50 - 60 PSI or better = good.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:04 pm

Every used cub cadet I purchased needs the head gasket replaced. Check for stuck valves, Clean the flywheel shroud for mice nests. Clean the points, don’t remove them it’s already timed fine sand paper will do. Then once there clean I turn the sand paper around and fold it over to the smooth back and run it through the points again to remove any grit. Check the oil level. So far my 12 cadets ran all but one the connecting rod snapped. Hot wire it and fire it up. Keep us posted.

Cadets don’t need too much,
Headgasket
Fuel line
Airfilter
Motor oil
Sparkplug

Fire it up and let the love begin.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

790rivers
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

Postby 790rivers » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Now, by 'hot wire it', you mean...?
I have a 12 volt jumper battery for the cars: can I just apply the leads to the starter motor with no battery in the cub? Will the magneto in the kohler just keep it running? Or would I have to put that jumper batter in the actual circuit with the coil, ignition, etc? Then I will be closer to making a sort of temporary wiring harness I guess. Thanks