This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What all should I do to engine before paint?? CC 1450

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

What all should I do to engine before paint?? CC 1450

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:03 pm

Guys. I'm (SLOWLY) working on my CC 1450 and restoring it. I'm just fixing what needs attention and doing all the cosmetics too. The engine (seemed to) run good when I decided to tear the mower down. I have all of the yellow stuff painted and most of the black, but still have the engine and the engine cowling parts to paint. I'm getting ready to paint it but what do you all recommend that I do to the engine before painting it? I have bought the following parts and plan on doing:

[list=][*] Clean oil pan and replace gasket, [*]Clean and replace crankcase breather and gaskets, [*] Clean and machine flat the cylinder head, and replace head gasket, [*]Replace or rebuild an OEM carburetor, [*]Install new points, condensor, and spark plug, [*]Install new OEM muffler and new quietline muffler box shroud[/list].

Right now I want to focus on all repairs/adjustments/etc on the engine so I can finish them all and clean the engine up to get it painted!! Didn't know if I might be missing something, or if there is something you'd recommend doing while I am already in pieces on the bench!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Re: What all should I do to engine before paint?? CC 1450

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Sounds like you’ve got it mechanically sound. That’s the first step. I’d remove all paint I can get off that may have an iffy foundation that might make new paint lift (pretty much all of it). Then I’d wipe it down good with a degreaser then lacquer thinner.
Now run it well enough to verify you’ve got no leaks. If you find an oil leak fix it and wipe it down again, run it. If it doesn’t leak wipe it down one more time and your ready for primer and paint. Anyway that’s my way. ;)
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:07 pm

So, you'd start and run it on the bench? I haven't even thought of that. I guess one wouldn't need a switch and all, just a jumper wire to points and a hot battery.

Next question, are the valve tappets adjustable on these? If so, I could adjust the valves cold and run it a while to check the clearance hot. I could also get some lapping compound and lap the valves while the head is off. What constitutes doing that? Isn't it a good thing to do while I'm there assuming the engine is original and not rebuilt?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:48 am

I dont remember the exact procedure for it, but I can scan my service manual if you like. Yes, the valves are adjustable.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:35 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:So, you'd start and run it on the bench? I haven't even thought of that. I guess one wouldn't need a switch and all, just a jumper wire to points and a hot battery.

Next question, are the valve tappets adjustable on these? If so, I could adjust the valves cold and run it a while to check the clearance hot. I could also get some lapping compound and lap the valves while the head is off. What constitutes doing that? Isn't it a good thing to do while I'm there assuming the engine is original and not rebuilt?

I would like to expand on the above question and also ask if you think I should put new rings in the motor for preventative measure to have a "better" engine. I'm installing a new oil pan gasket, new head gasket, & cleaning and leveling the head so I feel like it is one of those things to do "while it is apart, and you're in there" kind of thing.

I've never done anything with small air cooled engines like this so that is why I'm asking for y'alls advice while I'm fixing things and repainting.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:26 pm

Wanted to bring this back up. I’m getting ready to work on the engine and haven’t gotten a reply
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com