This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1861 Governor repair

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hdchevroletusa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75002

1861 Governor repair

Postby hdchevroletusa » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:19 pm

Drove 250 miles to buy an 1861 with low hours but when we got there, we determined that the engine governor was malfunctioning. I'm thinking it is the Courage 18HP engine, (as opposed to the 18HP Command engine in my 1863). The engine was racing and wouldn't idle. It was a really nice tractor other than that. We were gonna pass but the seller felt bad and let us have it for $100.
When we got it home we took off the Oil Filler Tube and looked inside. We could see the Governor Gear Shaft slid out of it's connection (There was a TSB issued by Kohler advising to install a pin in the shaft in order to prevent this problem).

My question is:
'Has anyone done this repair, and how difficult is the process? Should I just consider parting it out? Hate to do that because it's such a nice machine.
Thanks for your input!