This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Nice Cadet I Wish Was In Kentucky

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Nice Cadet I Wish Was In Kentucky

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Pretty Nice Early Cadet with Fenders, Creeper, Deck and Blade:
http://cgi.ebay.com/cub-cadet-original- ... dZViewItem

klejeune
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65802
Tractors Owned: IH Cub Cadets:
1961 - Original w/RD300 Danco loader
1961 - Original
1962 - Original
1965 - 100
1969 - 127
1979 - 1450

Postby klejeune » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 am

Something isn't right about the year of that tractor. Either the rear end was put on a newer frame or the dash tower was replaced with a late model. Although the later frames would have already had the correct hole for the creeper. I can't see if the front axle has bolt on or pin on steering. He must have painted the short block too, as they come black as replacements.

Would be nice to have either way. I'd probably just clean it up and leave it like it is.

Man I gotta get another CCO. I like my loader, but I also like driving it around without all that weight on the front. I had a blast pulling the spike aerator around the yard with it and have ordered a dethatcher.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:38 am

Yea, there are a couple of things "wrong" with that tractor. I noticed a steel plate bolted to the transmission and the mid section of the frame, that you can see in the photo of the right side of the tractor. I don't recall that on any CCOs, and I know that they are bad about breaking the frame in that area.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:37 am

It would appear that the rest of the tractor is not consistant (sp) with the given S/N. The front spindles are the later ones with the bolt in the top rather than the collar and pin type that was on the earlier models. The frame is probably an early one and was drilled (hole saw) for the creeper handle, and as was noticed, it appears to have been crudely repaired in the area where it bolts to the gear reduction housing . The dash pedestal appears to be the later one.

But, in all fairness to the seller, the dash and front axle could have been replaced at some point, to repair broken/damaged original parts. Not all that uncommon, nor is the cracked frame repair that uncommon on an Original, but if I were buying it for a true, low number, Original, I think I would want to see it in person first. especially for the buy-it-now price.

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:57 am

The dash tower isn't correct for that early of a 61. the adjusting slots didn't appear till around the end of 61. I saw the round hole and it would be correct for that SN Original if it was 1" in diam.(that looks larger). The creepers were dealer installed and they used a 1" hole with a grommet. A lot of the early holes were really butchered by dealers. The slot for the creeper. came in the middle of 62. He is also missing the front cover plate for the mower unless he has it sitting somewhere else as it can't be on when the lift rod is in use. I can't tell if that is a non trip blade which would be correct for that SN althouth the spring trip blade is a lot better to push snow with(you stay in the seat when you hit a curb). I had sent him an E-mail as I didn't realize how large the hole was. Yes there are very few frames that aren't cracked and/or repaired. He said he has another frame for it.

That is a non spring trip blade as I can see the different side brackets used to mount them and can see the seam where the top piece attaches.
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:09 pm

How can you tell the difference in the dash towers? What slots are you refering to? Do you think where he says in this listing that the Throttle and choke cables need hooked back up, that's because he changed out the tower for some reason? Maybe the original one was rusted out of it had been turned over?

I've had the cadet bug since Redpower. One of these days I'll find me an original. The good thing is I don't like fenders, so if I buy one with fenders I can sell them to offset the cost of the tractor. I would like to have a creeper, but It'd be more fun to buy a tractor without one and install it myself. I don't like headlights either. I've not decided whether I like the 3 point hitches or not. It'd be fun to try plowing but I guess that'd be all I could use it for. I'd probably buy a set of duals and take them off and on a time or two. I'm still keeping my eyes peeled. I Honestly can't find one. Most things I've been into I stumble across and seem to get into them "right", but the cadet original has eluded me so far, I've yet to see one. I've only found a 100 I believe it was with the square looking frame, it also had fenders. Got me excited for a minute. Maybe I'll go buy it.

It'd be nice to buy one that need some work, that would give me something to do. It wouldn't be any fun if it was perfect. :lol:

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:37 pm

The "slot" is the half moon slot at the bottom of the right side of the dash pedestal, that was added to allow adjustment of the steering box. That slot was not there on the early tractors, nor was the 1/2" dia hole near the bottom of the rear of the pedestal. Both came along later in production, as did a change to a heaver front axle casting and the change to the front spindles that I spoke of in an earlier post.

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:40 pm

What difference is there in the towers on an electric start cadet, and a recoil start? I'd like to have a pull start cadet, but I'd say they are hard to find. Is there any other differences in a recoil start besides no starter? You couldn't have headlights with a recoil start?

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Brandon,
The original CCs had a turn key switch, with a push button starter. I have never actually seen a pull start one, other than in books/magazines, but I would imagine that the only difference in the pedestle would be the lack of the starter button. I would guess that you are correct about the headlights also.

I do not believer that there were ever very many of the pull start types built, and I would bet that a lot of those were coverted to electric start when it became standard in the mid 1960s.

This original, although it has a few problems, is really not a bad tractor, and could be made up into a really nice CCO. It is fairly close to me, so I'm kind of thinking about going for it. I'm going to wait though and see how the auction goes. I really don't need a project right now.

Later,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Go for it, looks like a nice project. If he includes the frame, it'd basically be just a weekend full of swapping parts, unless you decide to make it pretty along the way. Overall I think with the creeper and fenders it's worth that. I've watched a couple sell that were close enough I could go get, and they went for $500+ and didn't have the options. You could sell the blade, deck, and fenders and not have much in this cadet, but you guys up north need those snow blades, down here in KY I'd never get to use one. :lol:

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Don't say a pull start can't have lights because I own an Original pull start with lights. My Original Edith has the 9 speed transmission which is direct, low(creeper) and Overdrive. It use to be an electric start but I found a pull start original that was being parted out so I got the motor and pedestal. the funny thing about the adjusting slot that was put in the Original didn't allow you to adjust the steering and the few I tried I couldn't break the lock nut loose with a big square screwdriver and a large crescent wrench. I had to take the 4 screws at the bottom of the pedestal out and raise the pedestal up against the steering wheel and get an open end wrench on the lock nut. The pull start pedestal has no choke holes and the key switch is a magneto type switch. The dash decal is different as it don't say choke & starter on them, I think only the early Originals was this way. the later ones have the decal but the holes were in the pedestal. I put a S/G on my pull start and have a battery in the box and a VR wired up in the weight box in the rear. I have 2 cables off a battery jumper box attached to my battery terminals and I hook them om the S/G when I want to start it. I put a push button switch right on the + battery post.
I don't have my pull starter on as I just got it back from the chrome shop and I finished the wiring tonight.
Here is the manual to change a pull start to an electric start and the magneto was left in the engine and the pull starter stayed on thr engine.
http://ihregistry.com/manuals/options/pull.pdf
Last edited by wdeturck on Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NutnButRed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby NutnButRed » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:09 pm

After reading these posts I learned alot more about an Original CC and maybe to late.I bought 2 OCC one was completely apart and the other would run. Both looked like junk to most people but after reading about serial # and where to look for them I discovered serial#2023. on the one that was apart.All the parts were there but the frame was cracked and the tower was rusted beond repair.I was going to restore both but my interests went to #2023 so I took the frame, and tower and several small parts off the other.#2023 does have the correct the engine 7hp 1 7/8 bore and small dip stick on the side Correct generator #s Spindels,and drive gear. I rebuilt the engine,carb,gen,added fenders and lights, and a creeper gear.I did know about the frames being different as far as the slot for the creeper gearbut did NOT know about the tower not having the slot on the right side for steering adjustment. On the tower I put on it ,for some reason there was one hole on each side of it tourch cut. I filled in the one on the left and left the other untouched.and it does have the 1/2 hole in the front .Now my Question.Should I have left the cracked and ugly welded frame on it and the changes I made would that drop the value?Here are some pics. It is almost complete.
[img]http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpics/10211/normal_Cub_Cadet_047_%28Small%29.jpg[/img
50 Demo
53 Cub
59 Lowboy
65 Lowboy
61 Original Cub Cadet
and many many pieces

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:23 pm

The big hole was cut in that pedestal for the reason I posted above. I would take the pedestal off and fill in that hole completely as your SN should have no slot or get another pedestal and put it on it even if if it has a slot. Most correct police don't know about the slot not being there. Nice looking Original.

I hope you know that is a female tractor(white lights) as males have yellow and Royalty has Chrome(trailer Queen Edith)

lonnyb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lonnyb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:06 pm

WDeturk.
I looked carefully at that snow plow and it looks just like the spring trip snow plow I have here for my 127.
I do not see the upper brackets that would make it a NON trip plow, where are the brackets you are seeing and refering to?
Please help me out on this, as I may have the wrong type of plow for my 127.
And no I am not trying to be sarcastic.
Is one cub ever enough ?

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:21 pm

hi Lonny: look close at the picture of the front of the plow. The bottom of that left over white pain looks like it's on the seam of the top removable piece. The non trip didn't have the sub frame that ran to rockshaft and it used the three holes that look like they have bolts in on the blownup front side view. It's really hard to tell off those pictures what it is? I E-mailed the guy but he didn't answer me so I won't bet either way. I have mounted my spring trip and you only use the front top bolt hole. I have seen non trip blades but I never installed one. It is real easy to see the difference except in his pictures. You could send him an E-mail and just ask him if the blade has two large springs? I'm sure you got the correct setup on your 127 and is a spring trip. Been looking at the pictures and book for over half an hour.