This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tasteless wax beans.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Tasteless wax beans.

Postby tnestell » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:57 pm

I have always had good luck growing nice Cherokee Wax beans. Two years ago and this year I had a lot of beautiful and abundant wax beans, however, they had a very bland or no taste. Beans were long, straight, and tender. The plants were huge and the rows, 32 inches apart, grew together. My green beans grew the same way and they tasted great. Only thing that I have done different for the last 4 or 5 years is to work a lot of maple leaves into the ground late in the fall. Last years were great. Since doing so everything else really started thriving better. Any ideas?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Tasteless wax beans.

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:13 pm

You might want to do some soil testing and see where your pH levels are, compared to the desirable range for your beans. Contact your local Extension Office. You might also want to change seed suppliers next year and see if that makes a difference.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Re: Tasteless wax beans.

Postby tnestell » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:49 am

Soil pH is 7, but I will check what is best for the beans. My seed source had uncoated seeds last year and this year they had a pink coating. The year before came from somewhere else. I think the soil testing might be the best next step. Thanks Don

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”