This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mother natures wake up call

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Mother natures wake up call

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:13 am

:shock: Wow Lightning struck a tree about 60 feet from the house this morning. I was laying in bed listning to the storm. When Boom and I levatated out of bed and landed on my feet :!: :!: You can see where it blew the bark off the tree half way to the house. This is the second time in three years that has happened. Last time it was a willow tree across my creek or about 110' from the house. You can just see part of the other tree hit to the left of this one. I guess there must be a lightning magnet there somewhere :!: Maby next time it will knock down the house so I can build a new one :?:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:15 am

:D 8) Lildog I really like the new look of the photo host.

Thanks Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:42 am

Cowboy, That was a close one! We woke up to thunder and lightning this morning. I think it's the same moving to the east. I turned on the computer this AM, but shut it back down when I realized how bad the storm was.
I guess lightning rods are a thing of the past. I don't really know how effedtive they were, anyway.

Larry

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:30 pm

Cowboy, you might as well make firewood out of that tree, cause in a few days you will probably see the leaves turning brown. It is probably done for. I can understand you coming out of bed. Lightning hit a neighbors big elm, about 30 feet from where I am setting now, a few years ago, and I thought something exploded (I was shaving and about slit my throat) when it hit. The elm had to be cut down. The lightning strike also killed one limb/branch in a dogwood tree in my yard, but just that one limb, didn't hurt the rest of the tree. Weird.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:30 pm

:D Hi Larry

Probally was the same storm. Wach out for the one comming now. I had tornado waches chasing me home from the IH dealer.

:P Hi Paul

Well I guess I needed more fire wood anyways. It did not hurt the willow tree it hit three years ago. Good place to put that orchard I am wanting once I get rid of the elm.

Billy

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Lightning rods

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:39 am

They are quite current. Lots of newer high rise buildings bristle with an array of them on the top. Did electrical maintance on a 43 story building for 5 years and was always surprised at the number of hits the building received. Chunks of the rod tips would get blown off it the strike was severe.

moparado
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby moparado » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am

My big maple about 50 ft. from the house got hit the same way a couple months or so ago in middle of the night also. Knew something got hit nearby as the flash and explosion were simultaneous. Looked out the bedroom window and that tree was smoldering like a burning log. The good news the tree is still alive and still providing a home for birds.

Those lightning rods work. Was in the barn BSn with a neighbor during a storm when a bolt of lightning hit one of the rods on the house roof. Produced a spectacular ball of fire at the tip of the rod. No damage to the house.

Over the last few years it seems like these storms getting more frequent and intense.

farmall man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby farmall man » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Same thing happend to me last summer i was backing out of the garage and it hit a big black wallnut tree in the back yard. Almost had to clean the seat after that. :lol:
1956 cub 1947 M

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:45 am

Cowboy,
That was just Bigdog clearing the trees out of the way so his Cub Locator would work better. :shock:
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:36 pm

Looking at the tree the bark is blown off to about 2.5 foot from the ground. I guess at that point the resinstace droped enough for the power to go out through the roots probally burning off the little roots. The willow that was hit three years ago was the same and it lived. So far the elm is still green. I got off easier than my neibor. He got hit at the same time and it took out his phone, tv and satilite reciver.

Lightning rods work BUT you must have a wire big enought to handle the current or it will burn it off. When I was a kid I ran a new wire from the fuse box to my room. Putting the panel cover back on pushed a ground wire aginst the hot lug and shorted it out. Half the house went dead the other half back fed the nutral and turned it to 220v. I droped the cover and the wire was red hot I hit it with a screw driver and it droped off melted into the bottom of the box :oops:

Peter I have my gard horse out there :!: Don't tell BD he can be bribed with a barcardi and coke :roll:

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”