This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Postby SONNY » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Seed catalogs are coming and it looks like we need to start the new season thread for 2009!!
First , we would like to thank every one for participating in 08, and hope 09 will be a better year for you!!
Show us your equipment,--homemade/factory made/old/new/big or small!!!--we want it,--even that favorite hand tool!!
Every one please join in and enjoy the thread!
Container gardens are welcome too so dont be bashful about posting!--NO size restrictions as to garden size either!--big or small!!---if you dont garden, but like to talk about them??--post away!--share your ideas and info.---thats what this thread is about!!

Post pics. and vids. of your gardens in progress and vids of your equipment in action!!
If you garden with Cubs,--be sure that RUDI gets a personal copy of your Cubs in action for his vid. library!!----Right RUDI?

With that being said,---the 2009 garden log is officially open for business!!!! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Postby Kodiak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Sonny, I followed the thread last year and it was very interesting and helpful. I got my garden off to a early start today and posted this earlier then deleted it after seeing your 2009 thread!
I planted some onions today! My cousin sent them through my Dad to me last weekend. Seems they ordered them and had some left over so they sent them to my Dad and myself. I had enough for about one row, but since I'm the only one eating them (unless my Grandaughter likes them) there should be plenty. I did take the tiller out and break up a couple of rows to have a nice bed to plant them in. Its been wet lately but the area I planted them in had drained nicely. Now on to the cabbage in a few more weeks!

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm

Sure soundin' good!!---We are lookin' at some fast moving clippers, and -10* temps,(daytime only 0*) so it would be a tad bit hard to till here!LOL!!!
Keep us posted and put up some pics if you get a chance,--as this is a full season thread, and we would like to log as many gardens/ideas/equipment/hand tools/etc. as possible!! thanks; sonny

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Finally pulled the last of the turnips and plowed the rest of the garden. Ground has not frozen here yet. Yesterday was 58 degrees in the afternoon. Last night got down to 6 degrees so ground is now starting to freeze.

Chester and the plow with Arnold in the background. Arnold pulls the disc with the mower raised to the top.

Now we're almost ready for warm weather :{_}:
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:18 am

Good lookin' units there!!----We are still under the grip of the sub-zero blast that came down from the great white north, and it is still holding temps in the single digits for most of the time!

We are going to start a couple sweet tatoes in the house soon to see how they do for producing plants, and will later do a big planting in the ole' greenhouse like we did last year!--We had 10 times more plants than need/space to plant all of them!--just need to make sure to have plenty, just in case something happens to some of them!
A little early yet for matoes/cabbage/etc, but last week of Feb. is about right for us here in zone 5, so we will be getting the ole starting pots ready for them!

I have a bunch of volunteer hops vines growing too!--dont use them for anything, but they are kind of neat to watch grow!---30 feet in each season from ground level! --the might make a good privacy fence cover if you needed a fast one!

In the meantime we kind of decided where we need to plant which crop so they are rotated and dont land in the same spot as last year! thanks; sonny

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mr E » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:28 am

Sonny,
Not familiar with Hops vines. 30 feet. Wow. Does it have self-supporting truck to support that height? Pictures? :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Here are a couple hop pics. from a couple years ago!

These are growing up a tall pole, (which wasnt tall enough), and went over a shed roof when they reached the top!
You can see the hop pods if you look close, (click on the pics for bigger views)!
They like moist deep, dark, fertile ground to really grow robust!---The leaves will stick to you like green bean leaves.---the pods themselves smell a little like pine when mashed.

There seams to be a lot of different varieties of them (35 or more), and I always thought hops were hops!! thanks; sonny

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:03 pm

SONNY wrote:Here are a couple hop pics. from a couple years ago!

These are growing up a tall pole, (which wasnt tall enough), and went over a shed roof when they reached the top!
You can see the hop pods if you look close, (click on the pics for bigger views)!
They like moist deep, dark, fertile ground to really grow robust!---The leaves will stick to you like green bean leaves.---the pods themselves smell a little like pine when mashed.

There seams to be a lot of different varieties of them (35 or more), and I always thought hops were hops!! thanks; sonny

Whatcha do with the hops......makes me thirsty.
Robert

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:25 pm

We just watch the hops grow and that is all!--I guess some use them in their home-brew!----We offered them to several guys, but no one took any that we know of! thanks; sonny

Jim Stobaugh
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28526

Postby Jim Stobaugh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 pm

We are lucky to be able to plant some vegetables through the winter here. I have three greenhouses I made that helps out. I have tomatoes and peppers started inside the house and will be putting them in the greenhouses in a couple weeks. We have lettuce, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, and snap peas. Our snap peas went crazy this winter since we have had a mild winter. They are over 6 feet tall. Below is what they look like right now.

1949 Cub X 2
1952 Super C

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Figured I better post tonight. Might not be able to get out of bed tomorrow. I tilled the area where I put my onions. Took the cub, put the planter and fert. distributor on, streaked off for the onion rows, laying down some fertilizer. Then took my hole poker, poked holes for the onions and set out 12 bunches of 1015's. I will be sore tomorrow. Took some pics, but can't post them.

Billy

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

Postby flyawa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Happy St Patty's Day everyone.

Did you plant 'taters today?

I got in about 10 lbs of "Yukon Gold" Also planted lettuce, radishes, spinach, Swiss chard, onions, dill, turnips, and beets. This year I've layed out all the rows so I can cultivate with the Cub 144 cultivators. Will plant peas and beans in another week or two when the risk of frost is gone. Sorry I didn't get the camera out to the garden yet.

Was over 80 degrees here today but we can still get a late frost for several more weeks.

Weather report says we'll get some rain over the weekend to start everything growing. :{_}: :{_}:
"Maintain thine airspeed lest the Earth rise up and smite thee"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Onions planted.
This was 1 pass with the 706 pulling the big tiller in garden #1choppin up the fall plowed, deep subsoiled ground.
Onion plants and sets in garden #5,--1 pass with big tiller then plant.

Didnt use a hoe just strung a line across there, (100 feet) and used finger to make plant holes,---just pushed the sets into the fine soil!

Also got a few turnips scattered out in a patch,--no row for them, just rake the seed in a little! thanks; sonny

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:24 am

Finally got dry enough to get in the garden. I planted green butterbeans, speckled butterbeans, improved pinto beans, Kandy Korn, Merritt sweet corn, purple hull peas, cream peas and big boy peas. Have yet to plant okra and squash and set out my tomatos, peppers and egg plants. Now if we don't get a big flood and wash everything away.

Billy

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 pm

Planted three 110" long rows of Louisiana green velvet okra and 38 hills of yellow crookneck squash today. Tomatos, peppers, and egg plants are next.

Billy

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”