This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Season long garden log for 2009!(w/pics & videos)!

Postby SONNY » Wed May 13, 2009 8:49 pm

We got 2.5" downpour today!!!
garden 1
garden 2

These are pics of just 2 of our gardens a half hour after the heavy rain stopped! --All our gardens were deep ripped and moldboard plowed last fall and only worked 1 time so far this spring,---the ground around us has water standing and gullies cut deep in it.

I used 404 to rip with,---BUT cubs can rip too!, just have to make more than 1 pass and go deeper with each pass then moldboard plow to turn it over clean.---do this in the fall and have nice ground to work and plant in next spring.

A few hours of good drying and I can usually be back in with a smaller tiller.---I only have a small area to hit with the 706 yet and it can wait a while because I havent decided what to plant there.---probably chicken corn on that side since the neighbor planted field corn next door this year.--I dont want sweet corn 3 feet from his corn.(would ruin my good sweet corn!) thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat May 16, 2009 9:16 am

Still waiting here.Rained here too!! To wet to get in and play.Kevin :evil: :evil:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm

We are heading into blackberry winter here and that means another week or two of cold wet weather! (usually)----By then it will be too late to plant anything else in the garden for this year, so we will end up with a short line of veggies this year!---NOW the WEED season will kick in and take over!---no point in trying to plant garden stuff . Normally this time of the year our gardens are WAY ahead of the weeds and have a good chance of making a crop.---THEN comes the insect, and bird invasion,---they always destroy the late planted stuff so I wont be planting any more veggies for 09 in the gardens.---probably just spray it down good with some HOT weed killer and call it quits for this season and go with the small amount of veggies that we did get planted in late march--to mid-april.

Not sure if the strawberries will survive the cold wet temps and ripen or not,---dont look too promising right now. If it stays cloudy, the ground wont dry on top or warm up so any seeds planted will only rot in the ground. Garden seeds are touchy about cold ground. thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Fri May 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Getting in my and planting this weekend!!! late this year.Had hard frost last monday and tuesday.Oh well -- hope for a better season than last year!!!! Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Got in the gardens with the IH 706 and the 6 foot tiller yesterday, between sprinkles of rain, and got most of this crop of weeds, grass, and volunteer tomatoes tilled up.
Transplanted 32 cabbage plants that were growing in my starter boxes!(dont think they will make anything this late in the season, but had to use them anyway!)----might toss out some late assorted veggies just for the heck of it and see if anything will grow,(sprayed most of the gardens down with pre-emergence herbicide so the weeds wont go to seed)

here is the link to the video of me tillin' yesterday!---Virginia took it when I was in the smaller garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkDKs4Oj ... annel_page

Enjoy the show!---thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am

Got all the row crops coming up wooo hoo!!! Other plants seem to be doing well. :shock: :shock: Time to get the cultivators ready!!! kevin :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DanR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:56 pm

I just finished up side dressing and cultivating the big corn patch. (deep sigh). Now I'll have time to get the sickle mower on Glenda and pay more attention to the vegetable garden. I can almost taste that corn.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Dan!---dont forget to stand gaurd over that corn and blast the vermin that is waiting in the wings!!LOL!!
I just got mine planted yesterday,--got a 2 inch flood last night, temps in the 50's so that will never come up,(too cold/wet for it to germinate!) thanks; sonny

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 am

The 22 is loaded. I hope the weather is more kind to you. You may be eating sweet corn on Thanksgiving.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 pm

We got 3.5" rain yesterday in the span of about 1.5 hours with strong winds of about 50 mph gusts. Then sometime last night, we got 2 tenths more rain. Blowed almost all my corn over and about 1/3 of my tomatos. Tomatos were staked so just straightne them up and drove up the stakes again. I am not going to fool with standing the corn up. It will just have to do for itself.

Billy

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am

Nice weather finally!!!!! Sun is out and everything looking good.One pepper plant gonna die I think.So far so good.Hope its not as wet as last year!!! KETCHAM!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

doug fournier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28173

Postby doug fournier » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:58 pm

This is my first time posting on this thread so here goes. I have a question for you guys who grow corn and have the crows come and rip it out when it is 6 inches tall.I am on my third planting now and probally have lost 75% already. The rain and birds have really gone crazy this year!!!! All of the other items in the garden seem to be doing great though so I guess I should feel blessed but I would like some good silver queen! Someone told me told wash the seed in terpentine and then plant it. He is a big time farmer but I haven't heard of this before. Any ideas before I feed the birds somemore?

Doug

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Doug,---did you see crows destroying your corn?---around here we have ground squirrels that do the same thing and just eat the soft kernel off the bottom then move on to the next plant!

Here are some pics of our garden as it now stands,--such as it is!EXTRA LATE!!!!!!
Sample of the new crop onions
Red beans (these will be dried down for soup beans)
This is newly planted giant strawberries
This is the hulless oats that the birds almost destroyed right after planting
volunteer spinach growing in the same exact spot that it did last year (I didnt plant any, it just came up on its own, so I left it
left 2 rows of spuds
right 2 rows of spuds
2 rows of onions plus the short end of fava beans
sweet corn,--(its now about 5" tall ,but not expecting it to ever pollinate or beat the bugs)

Just threw out some late stuff ---squash, melons, hopi blue corn, ----still got the chicken corn to plant, (probably end up plowing it under for green manure)

Thats a partial update as to where things stand for now, lots of stuff coming up out there including the next flush of WEEDS! thanks; sonny

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 am

Finally got rain!!! Been going north or south of my area.Nice soaker.Hope the fretilize early next week for the first time.Everything is late this year.Had hard frost just before Mem Day.Plants taking off to!!! Kevin looking forward to Ricks this weekend!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I'll have zuchini in about (checking my watch ...) anytime now. I'll check this evening. The cucumbers and most of the cantaloupes were starting to vine so I fertilized last weekend. Those things are exploding like crazy. Lots of blooms. The watermelons were hit by the all the rain, but are starting to take off as well. The sweet corn, what came up through the rain, is taken over by weeds. I gotta do something next year.

By far, my nicest looking plants are the volunteer pumpkins in the compost pile. They are huge and have lots of little pumpkins and blooms. They'll be way too early for Halloween, but pumpkin pie and bread are good anytime!!
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”