This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cotton seeds

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Cotton seeds

Postby Yogie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 pm

I'd like a few cotton seeds for Gray Cub to plant and watch grow this summer if anyone can find any.
Thanks, Yogie
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Re: Cotton seeds

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm new to this...can't you cut the ends of cotton swabs and plant 'em? :lol:
[thought Gray Cub might appreciate the humor]
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Winfield Dave wrote:I'm new to this...can't you cut the ends of cotton swabs and plant 'em? :lol:
[thought Gray Cub might appreciate the humor]

:lol: I'll share that with him.... :lol:
I was driving through Mississippi about 15 years ago and stopped by the roadside to brake off a couple plant/ branches to bring back home. I gave one to my older neighbor and all kind of folk stopped by to look, they nor I had never seen them before. :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 am

check with Russ Leggitt, or Cub-Bud.

Joann is from north Arkansas and used to chop cotton and pick cotton. she said she never wanted to see another cotton plant. A few years ago I planted a couple rows in the garden. She was still teaching, and helping care for my mother so she did not get down to the garden much that summer, and cotton when small looks a lot like okra, and she just assumed that was what it was. The first time she came to the garden after it started making pods I though I was going to have to move out. :lol: Our summers are not hot enough or long enough for cotton though and the pods never did mature.

One word of warning, cotton plants are very tough, and I really had a challenge mowing them down with the flail mower at the end of the season.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 am

A few years ago, I could have drove in any direction for a couple of minutes and arrived at a cotton field. There would have been enough seed spilled during planting season, I could have gotten a sack full. Now, it's all corn. (Thanks to ethanol). Very minimal amount of acreage in cotton. It's good that you want to grow some with Gray cub. When he gets older, it may all be grown in India. :cry:

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 pm

PM sent.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:47 am

Cotton was grown here alot years ago. Went away for a while and now is making a comeback. All the mills (Cannon Mills Co.) are gone so I don't know where it's going. Probably India.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:20 am

One word of caution, cotton seed is treated with pesticides, be sure to wash good after handling it.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Yep...treated with insecticide...and most seed now is what we call "Round-Up Ready", meaning Round-Up can be sprayed directlly on the plant for a specified amount of time with no damage to the plant. I might suggest to anyone wanting to plant cotton for ornamental purposes, in mild climates with short growth seasons, to start the plants indoors and grow to 8-10 inches, then transplant outdoors when the temp is right. Just might be what is needed to see the plants mature to open bolls of cotton.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 pm

#5 years ago or so while on Vacation in the SOUTH we stopped on the side of the road and picked a couple of mature cotton boles. The kids took them to school for show and tell ( here on Staten Island) The next spring we planted half a dozen seeds and the cotton grew and matured. Another show and tell for the younger ones with plants as well as boles. At the time wsome one told me it was against the law for we didn't have a cotton allotment. Did the same thing with peanuts and got the same story. Who knows
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 pm

I think cotton allotments only apply to commercial producers {farmers}...it's called messing with economics. :grin:

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:59 pm

after the trouble I got in the last time I planted cotton, I am sure not going to go that far. :tears:

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 am

Cub-Bud wrote:PM sent.

Thanks for taking care of Gray Cub, we'll really enjoy this little project. :wink:
Ben Franklin

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

I did manage to find a couple packs. of cotton seed here and its just called "ornamental cotton" on the pack,---planted one packet year before last and It looked like the real thing, but I think in some areas/states even the few plants are a no-no from what I hear, so I would check local rules before planting if you have doubts! thanks; sonny

walter80
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby walter80 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:55 am

We are in Callahan County and we are thinking about cotton seed as a protein source this year. We have fenced food plots and thought we would pile it in the food plots and throw corn on top of it to get them started.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”